Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nonpaged kernel using over 4gb of ram?

Options
  • 04-10-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Anybody know what's going on here?

It's on a new laptop which I've only had 2 days and after updating a few things the nonpaged kernel has started using up a huge amount of ram :confused:

ram.png

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Click on the processes tab and sort by memory. That will show you what process is using all the ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Thanks for the reply!

The thing is there's nothing in the process that indicate's its using lots of ram :confused:
    processes.png

Here's a RAMMap screen shot aswell and you can see the Nonpaged pool is using +4GB
    rammap.png

Everything still seems to be running fine and I've ran a full malwarebytes and anti virus scan and they've all comeback clean so i'm at a loss at what's going on here!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Click the "show processes from all users" button.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Windows XP used to aggressively page stuff out of memory.

Vista and 7 don't.

Stuff you have used stays cached in memory in case it's needed again

procexp is another util to look at what's using memory

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I have always wondered what NONPAGED is on my task manager..

Someone on another site tried to explain it to me but i still dont understand.

My task manager reads in K not MB and right now for NONPAGED it says 23440 and for paged it says 2896 .. They said if the NONPAGED VALUE gets too high you could experience slowdowns,etc.........

What exactly is the difference betwen paged and nonpaged? (I assume it has do to with virtual memory......I dont wanna seem stupid but im just wondering is all..)

Thank you smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Dude111 wrote: »
    What exactly is the difference betwen paged and nonpaged? (I assume it has do to with virtual memory......I dont wanna seem stupid but im just wondering is all..)

The nonpaged pool has nothing to do with virtual memory, it's assigned to the physical memory. Don't assume, read Mark Russinovich's explanation. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Ah ok,thank you it sort of does explain it!

Last night my nonpaged was 33028 and my paged was 10327 (I was doing alot of stuff) -- Then minutes later the values dropped.......

Advertisement