Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody here done any cross-compiling ?

Options
  • 04-10-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭

I have a version of Linux (Angstrom) running on an ARM tablet (WM8650) that came with Android. I would be interested in cross-compiling some code for it, from a Intel32 type machine running some kind of Linux.

Anybody got any pointers for me?
    I'm thinking so far of compiler / library/kernel versions for a start.

Will I need to recompile gcc & glibc first to target ARM ?
    How do I find the versions of glibc etc that are already on the tablet?

I know there are several architecture versions of ARM, I think the tab is v5 and the kernel is 2.6.32.9

I found a tool called crosstool, at www.kegel.com, and then just now, http://crosstool-ng.org/ which I haven't looked at yet, not sure if either of these will do what I want. Yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't have much experience in setting it up from scratch but I did do some development that required cross compilation before (for the Nokia N900). The recommended setup for it was using scratchbox. I don't know how well it would work for the tablet you mentioned but might be something to look into

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, check this: https://www.linux.com/community/blogs/127-personal/468920-cross-compiling-for-arm

I have no experience, but it looks OK

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I did some compiling for the PSP on my intel box before. All I remember (it was a long time ago) was that I got the PSP toolchain, followed relevant setup instructions and after that it "just worked". In theory cross compiling should "just work".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Usually involves installing the toolchain, i.e. libraries and compiler arm-linux-androideabi-g++ for example.

Then adding these binarys to PATH.

If the makefiles support the architecture you just have to add something like ARCH=arm to the make command.

For simpler projects which don't have makefiles you can just call the toolchain compiler directly as you would a normal compile.

Advertisement