Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL SET TO CANCEL FIRST BLOCK OF REGULAR SEASON GAMES

Options
  • 04-10-2012 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406758

The NHL lockout will be taking another bite out of the 2012-13 campaign, as the league is expected to announce the cancellation of the first block of regular season games on Thursday afternoon.

The news comes just a week after the NHL announced the cancellation of the reminder of its preseason games that ran through October 8.

I was told in the summer that there wouldn't be any hockey for the remainder of 2012. If the NHL misses out on the 'Winter Classic', I was told there wouldn't be hockey in 2013.

It doesn't seem like anyone is really trying to get anything done at this point. It's going to come down to the owners trying to break the voting union members who aren't on the extravagant contracts (not unlike the lockout in 2004).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406758

The NHL lockout will be taking another bite out of the 2012-13 campaign, as the league is expected to announce the cancellation of the first block of regular season games on Thursday afternoon.

The news comes just a week after the NHL announced the cancellation of the reminder of its preseason games that ran through October 8.

I was told in the summer that there wouldn't be any hockey for the remainder of 2012. If the NHL misses out on the 'Winter Classic', I was told there wouldn't be hockey in 2013.

It doesn't seem like anyone is really trying to get anything done at this point. It's going to come down to the owners trying to break the voting union members who aren't on the extravagant contracts (not unlike the lockout in 2004).

At this stage I don't think theres gonna be any hockey this season. So many players are gone overseas and there just doesn't seem to be a big push to get a resolution.

If anyone caves it's gonna be the players. Once they start missing paychecks then they will really realise what they're missing.

It's a shame that this has happened again. The league had gotten back to a good place. However there's a reason that its not as popular as the NFL, NBA or MLB. It's nothing to do with the sport itself, it's the business side, as long as teams are signing players to 10+ year contracts and mega trades are a rarity then there isn't going to be much excitement in the offseason. Saturday Hockey night in Canada has the potential to be massive but it's just not being done right.

So yeah anyways, get the lockout sorted but also have a long hard look at how the game is promoted. And fix the rinks which look depressing on some broadcasts. Toronto I'm looking at you !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The issue at the moment is that the owners have no idea where they want the salary cap. You have your large market teams that are willing to have a large cap/floor, while the owners in small markets are fighting to bring everything down to manageable levels.

I was told before the season began (and I have repeated it ad nauseum so please forgive me) that there wouldn't be any hockey on 2012. The owners are banking on the Winter Classic on New Years Day. If this doesn't happen, then you can right off the remainder of the season.

The players association are in the exact same situation that they were in 2004. This time around they actually have some leadership in Fehr. I am not sure what that is exactly going to for them until the owners get their heads out of their arses.

It's going to be a cold, dark winter in 30 NHL arenas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

The owners are banking on the Winter Classic on New Years Day. If this doesn't happen, then you can right off the remainder of the season.

The Winter classic is cancelled but there is renewed hope for hockey come Thanksgiving on the Rangers forum. Can't see it myself but .....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

COYW wrote: »
    The Winter classic is cancelled but there is renewed hope for hockey come Thanksgiving on the Rangers forum. Can't see it myself but .....

I hope they start playing than. Well be over there than

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

7 hours of negotiations yesterday and another meeting today. I have little or no hope for a resolution, but who knows.

At least it's a positive that they are meeting and there is little or no media involvement.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    7 hours of negotiations yesterday and another meeting today. I have little or no hope for a resolution, but who knows.

At least it's a positive that they are meeting and there is little or no media involvement.

The players are looking for a full year's salary irrespective of when the season starts. Goodnight Vienna, we need a miracle at this stage!

Due to the lack of hockey very hard to find hockey stuff in new york.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Simonko

The All Star game in Columbus has been cancelled along with games up until December 14th. I doubt we'll have a season at all at this stage, both sides seem too far apart.

cena wrote: »
    Due to the lack of hockey very hard to find hockey stuff in new york.

Try the NHL store.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26423

Didn't get a chance to head in yet. well try during the week

• Advertisement

So went to the nhl store and got a rangers jersey. anyone want me to price anything incase I go back in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=646632

At this point I think the likelihood of the entire season being cancelled has dramatically increased. Such a cluster****.

robby^5 wrote: »
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=646632

At this point I think the likelihood of the entire season being cancelled has dramatically increased. Such a cluster****.

The NHLPA need to take a long, hard look at themselves and get rid of Fehr. He's bad news.

Shocking attitude by both sides at this stage. Can see no daylight at the moment. I was hopeful where I heard about the mediation but that was a complete flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

The NHLPA need to take a long, hard look at themselves and get rid of Fehr. He's bad news.

We're in the same situation as we were in 2004. The owners are prepared to sit out the season until their demands are met(regardless of who is in charge of the NHLPA). The last time out the owners were sitting on a $300 mil war chest to tied them over until the lockout ended. I would not be surprised if this was the case this time around.

Advertisement