Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orlando Cruz Comes Out: Boxer Says He Is 'A Proud Gay Man'

Options
  • 04-10-2012 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/10/04/orlando-cruz-comes-out-gay_n_1939204.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

History has been made today in the boxing world, as featherweight boxer Orlando Cruz has come out as a "proud gay man."
    The Puerto Rican native, 31, told USA Today: "I've been fighting for more than 24 years and as I continue my ascendant career, I want to be true to myself. I want to try to be the best role model I can be for kids who might look into boxing as a sport and a professional career."
    He then went on to note, "I have and will always be a proud Puerto Rican. I have always been and always will be a proud gay man."
    A former Olympian who competed for Puerto Rico at the 2000 Summer Games in Sydney, Cruz has been fighting professionally since December 2000. His next fight is scheduled for Oct. 19 in Kissimmee, Fla., but he will reportedly sit down for an exclusive Telemundo interview before that.
    A number of publications have noted that while Cruz is not the first gay man to fight professional, his revelation makes him the first to speak openly about it while being active in the sport. As USA Today noted, Emile Griffith, a welterweight and middleweight champion who fought in the '50s and '60s, told Sports Illustrated he was bisexual years after his athletic career had ended.

As a gay man and (former) boxing official I am delighted to read this, that this boxer had the courage to come out while still boxing and hope it helps others who are in a similar situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am sure he is one of many many men to have boxed professionally and been very successful that were gay. Attitudes are changing but there is still a stigma there for gay men, particularly when in the spotlight and competing in sports. The more "manly" the sport I guess the more difficult/awkward it can be for the gay man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

efb wrote: »
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/10/04/orlando-cruz-comes-out-gay_n_1939204.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

As a gay man and (former) boxing official I am delighted to read this, that this boxer had the courage to come out while still boxing and hope it helps others who are in a similar situation.
    i personally don't understand why people decide come out
    its there private business which should stay that way imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

So he can be who he is without hiding behind PR Agents and the like.

It's should be just "he's gay- nyeh" but it's not and that's the reason he's so brave for doing what he did.

So he can be who he is without hiding behind PR Agents and the like.

It's should be just "he's gay- nyeh" but it's not and that's the reason he's so brave for doing what he did.

I would agree that he is very brave; but I think the poster above is wondering why he needs to come out, or be brave?

If he wants to exist as a gay man he has too- or the paps will hound him.

You can't have it both ways- he can't unfortunately exist just a gay man he has to confirm it. I had it from relations- it was like I have to confirm it before they'd accept it

• Advertisement

If he wants to exist as a gay man he has too- or the paps will hound him.

You can't have it both ways- he can't unfortunately exist just a gay man he has to confirm it. I had it from relations- it was like I have to confirm it before they'd accept it

I see your point. There are many men out there who are in the spotlight who have never confirmed their sexual orientation. Cliff Richard, Louis Walsh are two that come to mind. Many many more who claim to be heterosexual, or "live" a heterosexual lifestyle are probably gay.

LL was always rumored to be gay. He is married now as far as I know, with 4 children. Ian Thorpe from the world of swimming is another who is hounded, and he has so far refused to confirm or deny that he is gay.

Edit: Thopre did confirm that he is not gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

MD1990 wrote: »
    i personally don't understand why people decide come out
    its there private business which should stay that way imo

I assume it would go towards normalising peoples perceptions of Gay men.

SRL another

SRL another

Ray Leonard?

I hadn't heard that. I did read about his problems with a trainer and the alleged molestation. You know, Ray had that kind of way, look. He reminds me of Michael Jackson. Sort of a girly/effiminate look off him.

That's the only reason- he was v pretty face well groomed softly spoken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement