Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need new Macbook Charger

Options
  • 04-10-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

My Macbook (13") battery has been slowly dying ... or so I thought from the Replace Battery Now message on top of the screen.

I got a new battery and now it is still displaying 'Not Charging' when I plug the charger in...so it seems that my charger is gone-zo too :(

Can anyone recommend a third party charger they have tried which works okay and will mean I dont have to splash out a small fortune when Ive already got a new battery this week?

Much appreciated :o

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How old is the Mac? I presume it's the white plastic Macbook.
    You could just call Apple and ask for a free replacement if it's less than a couple of years old. Apple's 1 year warranty falls foul of EU law iirc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

5uspect wrote: »
    How old is the Mac? I presume it's the white plastic Macbook.
    You could just call Apple and ask for a free replacement if it's less than a couple of years old. Apple's 1 year warranty falls foul of EU law iirc.

OP would need to contact where he bought it, that's who the contract is with. The EU requires the seller gives a 2 year warranty at least, not the manufacturer.
    In Ireland we have the Sales of Goods Act which provides longer protection, and didn't implement the 2 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Think I got it in 2009 so not sure exactly where I'd stand at this stage:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Moved from Apple Media Devices.

Papillon! wrote: »
    Think I got it in 2009 so not sure exactly where I'd stand at this stage:(

An easy way to see when you first used the machine, usually the purchase date, is to open finder and see when your home folder was created.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    An easy way to see when you first used the machine, usually the purchase date, is to open finder and see when your home folder was created.

Thanks! I will check this after work and let you know. I dont have the receipt from PC World that far back any way so they probably have no way to show I purchased it there.

You might have a CC statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Papillon! wrote: »
    My Macbook (13") battery has been slowly dying ... or so I thought from the Replace Battery Now message on top of the screen.

I got a new battery and now it is still displaying 'Not Charging' when I plug the charger in...so it seems that my charger is gone-zo too :(

Can anyone recommend a third party charger they have tried which works okay and will mean I dont have to splash out a small fortune when Ive already got a new battery this week?

Much appreciated :o

Have you tried your mac with another adapter yet? It may not be your adapter at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I warned both my brother and mother in law not to buy third party chargers for their MacBooks. They didn't listen, went ahead and payed 25 euro a piece for them. Now 9 months later they both need new logic boards. Be careful what you buy OP. It doesn't always work out cheaper in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Somecrimesitry

Your charger is fine, sure isn't your MacBook running from the charger otherwise it wouldn't be booting up at all. That "Not Charging" error is very common on older MacBooks after replacing the battery.

Before changing or buying any different hardware reset the SMC. The SMC is involved with power management including batteries and chargers and a reset should clear up that charging error if the battery and charger are in good working order. The PRAM/NVRAM usually also just needs a reset too on older Macs. When the SMC reset didn't fix that error for me, zapping the PRAM did...makes no sense because PRAM has nothing to do with power management or batteries but it worked so I do both.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

Resetting both of the above will usually clear it if there is no real issue. But if doing those changes nothing then you have a hardware problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 louglee

I know that with Macbooks if you bought the Apple Care you can take it to any Authorised retailer who will replace the part, I got mine replaced just a few months ago. I took it to Compu B opposite Trinity College in Dublin, I know that also have a store in the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre (they may have more stores but I don't know them). They were really nice, I asked how much they charge for a new charger and they said for a MacBook 13inch it was €65, I Think that the same price on the apple website, The girl also said that many people find the chargers on amazon/ebay - they include the usual apple big that connects to the computer but the part that connects to mains power (plug can be split into 2 with the square with the apple symbol forming the middle) is a generic plug with a two pron end - I originally got mine in the US and as such have a US plug on that end but I found that I had many plugs suitable to connect to the apple plug around the house (e.g. a had an external charger for a camera battery, 1 for an old external hard drive), I've tried both and they work perfectly, If your ever in a college library you'll often see people with Macs that have plugs that are half white/half black - thats what I'm referring to. A couple of people I know found plugs on ebay that worked fine for between €20-30.

Thank you everyone!

And Somecrimesitry, thanks so much. I will try that and let you know if im still hacing trouble with it:)

Advertisement