Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philps Promotional Genie Light Bulb 11 Watt - €0.69

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

you2008 wrote: »

Not too bad.:)

I switched over from them to LED B22 and E27 instead.

A mere 3 watts each.:D

Perfect for the bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭glen25

Hi Paddy, where did you get those LED's? I always wondered if traditional size bulbs could be bought as LED's but never seen them.. Maybe I never looked hard enough! Were they expensive?
    Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,425 ✭✭✭✭ted1

paddy147 wrote: »
    Not too bad.:)

I switched over from them to LED B22 and E27 instead.

A mere 3 watts each.:D

Perfect for the bedrooms.

a mere 3 watts each , a saving of 8 watts.
    lets see. 6 hour daily usage 365 days a year. =2,190 hours a year *8watts=17,520 watts a year= 17.5 kWh * 18cents=€3.15 saving

how much were the bulbs?

be intrested in seen the payback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

What price were they Paddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

glen25 wrote: »
    Hi Paddy, where did you get those LED's? I always wondered if traditional size bulbs could be bought as LED's but never seen them.. Maybe I never looked hard enough! Were they expensive?
    Thanks..

They are selling something them in Lidl Czech Republic today so maybe they will have them here in the next few week.
    CZ_73851_01_b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm not convinced on LED, I bought two about a year ago and from memory they said 3years guarantee and the first one went after about 6months, not worth my petrol money to persue a shop replacement

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm not convinced on LED, I bought two about a year ago and from memory they said 3years guarantee and the first one went after about 6months, not worth my petrol money to persue a shop replacement
    LED's are the future. IKEA is planning to sell only LED's by 2016.

But for now CFL's are the way to go, at least until LED's drop in price a bit more. Unless you prefer LED's for reasons other than economy.
    ted1 wrote: »
    a mere 3 watts each , a sav ng of 8 watts.
    3 watt LED won't match the light from that CFL it's 600 Lumens.
    You'd need at least 6 Watts to match that (and LED lumens can be questionable)

so saving 5watts - so €1.97 saving a year

69c is a good price :)

all we need now is some cheap light fittings that take multiple bulbs

I changed over the entire house from CFLs to LED last year.

Im being energy effiecent,and myself and my family are happy with the light and its quality.

The 3 watt B22 and E27 LED lights in the pics above are perfect for the bedrooms,the landing and the floor lights downstairs too.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They are selling something them in Lidl Czech Republic today so maybe they will have them here in the next few week.
    http://www.lidl.cz/cps/rde/xchg/SID-803B8A85-5778C19C/lidl_cz/hs.xsl/index_27652.htm
    LED žárovka 2,7 W
    179.00 CZK = 7.17921 EUR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

ted1 wrote: »
    a mere 3 watts each , a saving of 8 watts.
    lets see. 6 hour daily usage 365 days a year. =2,190 hours a year *8watts=17,520 watts a year= 17.5 kWh * 18cents=€3.15 saving

how much were the bulbs?

be intrested in seen the payback.

Also bear in mind:
    Philips bulb above = 600 lumens
    Top end main brand warm white 3w LED bulb = 270 lumens (most are somewhere between 170 and 220)

The one paddy147 has are quoted at 260 lumens by most chinese suppliers others are claiming 400-500 for the same bulb which is total bull.

So really a like for like comparison is 7w vs 11w so half the saving you calculated.

If LED bulbs lasted the 40000 hours people like philips claim they would of course be worthwhile, all the good manufacturers are underdriving their leds and have good heatsinking the most lightly thing to fail in the long term are the electrolytic capacitors inside them.

The cheap chinese ones on the other hand are typically overdriving the LEDs
    significantly and have inadequate heatsinking and use really cheap nasty capacitors and certainly won'th be lasting anywhere near 40000 hours.

My friend works for a building services company and gets a ton of freebies from suppliers he has just about 40 variations of led bulb in his house most of them are a joke like cheap chinese toys. Only the philips ones had a light output and colour temperature you'd expect from the claimed equivalent specs on the package Toshiba was very close second though the colour temperature was a bit cooler like a xenon halogen bulb.

I have some of the philips ambientled bulbs I got in the B&Q bargain bin for 10 euro each. They're very impressive but I think they're just about worth 10 euro definitely not worth the ludicrous RRP. You'd definitely have to remember to bring them with you when you moved house :p

• Advertisement

Philips Master 4 watt led Gu10s.

I have all of downstairs and kitchen fitted with them.

Fantastic indeed.

Anyway,we are gone off topic.

Sorry OP.

69 cents for those CFLs isnt half bad at all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

glen25 wrote: »
    Hi Paddy, where did you get those LED's? Were they expensive?
    Thanks..
    54kroc wrote: »
    What price were they Paddy?
    People want to know! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭green123

Esel wrote: »

but he wants to keep it quiet !

he has been deliberately avoiding answering them questions because the calculations on value for money went against him.

including vat they cost over a tenner each.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78406353&postcount=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

green123 wrote: »

he has been deliberately avoiding answering them questions because the calculations on value for money went against him.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/E27-3W-67-LED-Corn-Light-Bulb-White-Lamp-200-230V-/300678674828?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item4601d8798c#ht_3251wt_1348

Or 3.23 from china but I'd save my money

[edit] Oops thats the headache inducing blinding white variety and not bayonet fitting so not like for like

warm white e27 is 3.42 delivered

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/E27-Screw-3W-220V-67-Warm-White-LED-Corn-Light-Bulb-Lamp-3000-3500K-260LM-/270835715392?pt=UK_Light_Bulbs&hash=item3f0f110d40#ht_3272wt_1115

2 points on that 67 LED bulb

most new ones are using SMD so it may be old stock and so the LED's may not be as efficient

is it CE certified ?
    (some of the SMD ones scare me since they have can have exposed metal contacts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

2 points on that 67 LED bulb

most new ones are using SMD so it may be old stock and so the LED's may not be as efficient

is it CE certified ?
    (some of the SMD ones scare me since they have can have exposed metal contacts)

Wouldn't pay attention to the CE marking on anything from china, they stamp everything CE, CE certs are issued by the companies themselves they are meaningless without lab reports to back them up. As an example I got a set of christmas locally last year complete with CE 'cert' design was lethal. I looked up the TUV and they had failed it on six counts for fire and electrocution hazard.

green123 wrote: »

WTF are you talking about here????:confused:

Im one of the most upfront honest people here on this forum and have no problem saying what various diy and building products,insulation and energy effiecent items cost me.I post pictures on the various items,to show people what they are like and give my opinion of them too.

Do you do any of that???

Eh,NO.:rolleyes:

Philips Master 4 watt dimmable GU10 LEDs cost 8 euro 50 cents plus vat.

And Ive made no secret of that,if you bothered to read through my various posts.

Esel wrote: »

N&D Electrical and TEG.

I got them for 8 euro,as I bought a good few of them.

Im happy with them,as the light output is just fine for me.:)

Advertisement