Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholarship!!!

Options
  • 04-10-2012 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all

I have being sent an invitation to apply for a scholarship in UCC. I need to submit some paperwork together with an 400 words essay about myself. Part of that paperwork consists in submitting a list of all the clubs, societies and my involvement with UCC community in the previous 3 years. The reality is that due to my personal situation I have not been able to join any of these social communities as they are all in the evenings and I have a small daughter to mind on my own etc. Is this a big consideration for them when approving the scholarship? Do you think there is no point for me to even try and get it if I have not been involved in any community aspects of UCC?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Student2012

You have nothing to lose by trying :) Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

I got the same letter last year. I was at the low end of the first class honours range and had been involved in some society committees but, unfortunately, I was not awarded the prize. I think it's more to do with how high of a first you've received and the extra-curricular stuff just gives you a bit of an edge if someone else has the same result as you. I'm just speculating, however, so you may as well apply and see! Well done, by the way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

Got one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Byron85 wrote: »
    Got one too.

Great input

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

jive wrote: »
    Great input

I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Son of Sniglet

Yeah, what Crosswalk said. Basically, if you and another candidate got the exact same mark, they'd look at what you've "given back" to UCC and the wider community to ascertain who's more worthy. If it's any consolation, I won a scholarship last year and I have had minimal involvement in extra-curricular activites. And when I say minimal, I mean...minimal. Truly.

Congratulations btw, nadialbala! It's a brilliant achievement to have done so well academically while raising a child - no mean feat. Best of luck with your application! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nadialbala

Yeah, what Crosswalk said. Basically, if you and another candidate got the exact same mark, they'd look at what you've "given back" to UCC and the wider community to ascertain who's more worthy. If it's any consolation, I won a scholarship last year and I have had minimal involvement in extra-curricular activites. And when I say minimal, I mean...minimal. Truly.

Congratulations btw, nadialbala! It's a brilliant achievement to have done so well academically while raising a child - no mean feat. Best of luck with your application! :)

THANKS, I was so busy did not even get to check the site since :-( Any idea when do we hear about them?

x

They're still deciding! So not sure when we'll find out.

They had last year's prizegiving around January, but the year before it was April. We could be waiting a while yet, hopefully they'll let us know soon! *twiddles thumbs*

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

Decisions for SEFS were made by the looks of it

Ooh, interesting! How'd you find out?

• Advertisement

Got a letter today saying that I got one and when the ceremony is on!

Sweet! Congratulations teddy!

I'm doing an Arts degree, so I wonder if they'd send the letters out around the same time...? (I'm not being presumptuous in presuming I'll win, apparently they'll send a letter to let you know the outcome whether you've won or not. But, God I'd love to get something. Mama needs a new pair of everything!)

Fingers crossed for me, nadialbala and others!

Thanks, Yeah Didn't have to apply for my one or anything. Fingers Crossed for ye!

teddy b123 wrote: »
    Thanks, Yeah Didn't have to apply for my one or anything. Fingers Crossed for ye!

Ohhhh... WELL DONE YOU!

I hope we get something too! Good luck everyone !

x

nadialbala, check your UCC email - I got an email about the scholarship this morning!

nadialbala, check your UCC email - I got an email about the scholarship this morning!

Really? nothing in mine :-( :-( Will they contact me regardless if I get it or not ?

Thanks!

Yeah, they should contact you regardless!

Advertisement