Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Unit/ Cabinet

Options
  • 04-10-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering what kind of price I would be looking at for a TV/sideboard unit to be built to fit into a small alcove.
    The dimensions are 2M x 2.3M x 0.3M (LxHxD).
    There would be presses on the base and shelves either side of the TV, made of cream MDF, something vaguely similar to this
    http://www.demingremodeling.com/images/shelving-tv.jpg

based in Dublin if that helps

Thanks,
    Redved

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

redved wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering what kind of price I would be looking at for a TV/sideboard unit to be built to fit into a small alcove.
    There would be presses on the base and shelves either side of the TV, made of cream MDF, something vaguely similar to this

Thanks,
    Redved

Have you a close up on the top if the unit? There appears to be a lot of moulding on it

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭redved

Hi Thanks,

Not interested in anything ornate, I just picked that from a google search. I would like it to be flat across the top.
    Also the four presses across the base would be standard presses.
    I will PM you the design as it is an Irish company and I don't want to use their image without permission

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

redved wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,
    Redved

Go up to Ikea.:)

Various styles of what you looking for.

Take a camera with you and take some pics of TV cabinets that you may like.

Its very easy to modify the Ikea units too,so make them bespoke/one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

You were asking for a price for a fitted cabinet, similar to your picture.

I can only answer according to what I know, which is solid wood, in frame type cabinets, which have been fitted to a reasonably high standard, and hand-painted. Similar to the cabinet below. (click on pic for larger version)

tn_solid-wood-fitted-cabinet-02.jpg

I'd estimate the cost at approx 1,100 to 1,300 euros in total (inc VAT), which breaks down as follows.

Cabinets made from solid wood.
    base cabinet, with four or five 'in frame' type doors, unpainted and unfitted = 300 to 350 plus VAT
    upper cabinet, with open shelves, unpainted and unfitted = 250 plus VAT

paints and painting = 200 plus VAT
    delivery and fitting = 300 to 350 plus VAT

Total = 1,050 to 1,150 plus 13.5% VAT
    Grand total = approx 1,190 to 1,305

(comments welcomed on value here, or otherwise. Is the price above too expensive for the pictured cabinet? What should be the correct price?)

Fitting to a high standard includes removing electrical sockets from the walls and re-mounting them inside the cabinet, rather than just cutting ugly holes.

I know you've specified MDF or chipboard as opposed to solid wood, and also the door style would be easier, as overlaid doors could be used.

Would someone else be able to price up another style of cabinet?, with a breakdown of individual aspects of the job too if possible?

For example, could this be done as per the original description (including fitting) for 900?
    What about 700?
    500?

Cheers so

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

To make something similar to that out of mdf. I am thinking about 450 - 500 ready to paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

To be fair I could prob do it for that money fitted and painted.

I have no interest in getting into a public argument over prices and work details. Although joe as I am in the same game as you, infairness your work looks nice and well made also your price does seem fair enough.

However I would have a little bit more detail maybe add a piller either side with a bigger or more decorative

If the op would like a few pictures from me please send your email address via pm and I could forward one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Corron

Can anyone recommend someone in Meath who does custom built in TV units?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I'm not in Meath. But could manage the job.

Advertisement