Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution settings on Fedora 17

Options
  • 04-10-2012 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

So I have finally got a working install of Linux on my employer's Windows network. I can print, access Sharepoint and Remote Desktop around the place. I can now pretty much do anything I can do on Windows, yet in half the time. And it looks prettier. :D

Perseverance pays off!

One minor thing that is that my Evolution preferences/settings are not being saved. Every time I fire up Evolution, I have to set all my preferences such as Calendar reminders and sending e-mails in HTML format.

I checked in my home folder and there is no .Evolution folder (or anything resembling that), so I am wondering if this is why it is not saving my preferences? Is there anything I need to do to configure it to save my settings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Check .config/evolution

if the directory is OK (present & with correct permissions) the next step will be checking gconf/gsettings.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm a huge fan of locate for stuff like this. As root run "updatedb" (will take a few minutes first time) then run "locate -i evolution | grep <yourusername>". It's the lazy mans way of finding stuff. Mine is in .evolution (I note you have a capital E there).

Also it may be a permissions issue. Maybe see if the same issue occurs with the root user.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Check .config/evolution

if the directory is OK (present & with correct permissions) the next step will be checking gconf/gsettings.

Ok, that's where I found the directory - permissions all ok, I am the owner, my group. Started it as root (from my home directory) and noticed an error about settings. So exited out of root and at the command line (again, in my own directory) ran evolution at the command line:
    $ evolution
    GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
    Googling that error gives a confusing mix of solutions, mostly compiler related.

Any suggestions?

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Started it as root (from my home directory)

This may have borked your ownership / permissions.

Can't help you on that error unfortunately.

Khannie wrote: »
    This may have borked your ownership / permissions.

Can't help you on that error unfortunately.

Actually, I noticed that when I was root, it was attempting to save all settings to /root/.config/evolution, so I am pretty confident that was not the issue and that all my ownerships/permissions are fine.

Plus, I was having the problem before I ran evolution as root.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

try to install dconf-editor and edit evolution settings using it.
    It might also pull some missing dependencies if there are any.

Check also if "rpm -Va" shows somethign related to evolution/dconf/gsettings

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Actually, I noticed that when I was root, it was attempting to save all settings to /root/.config/evolution, so I am pretty confident that was not the issue and that all my ownerships/permissions are fine.

Plus, I was having the problem before I ran evolution as root.

Grand job. I was concerned that it might have borked it if it tried to write to your home directory. I've had this problem before. When I said to run it as root I meant to log out and log in as root though obviously I didn't actually *say* that. :pac:

PrzemoF wrote: »
    try to install dconf-editor and edit evolution settings using it.
    It might also pull some missing dependencies if there are any.

That did the trick, despite the fact that I didn't change any Evolution settings. Odd. Plus, the error above is now gone, so something has worked.

Anyway, I am delighted now, boot up time has gone down from ~10 minutes to just under 2. That in itself is a productivity increase. Everybody is admiring my "new shiny Windows" and I am educating them.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement