Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of a Derelict House???

Options
  • 04-10-2012 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi

A shot in the dark here, but was wondering if anyone might know how I could find out when a now derelict house might have been built. It is visible on the OSI maps website and google maps.

I've managed to trace back to my Great Great Grand Parents who lived in this house and so did their descendants up to the mid 1960's (inc. my mother who was born there). It was only a tiny 2 roomed building which now stands in ruins.

The house is rural and in the middle of a wood!!! Anybody have any ideas where I can look for information???

Cheers

bijou

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Is there a house visible at the same location on Griffith's ?

Once you know the townland/parish etc you could try searching the cancelled land books to see transfers in occupier/lessor etc. These would likely mention when the house was built - as long as it was after Griffith's. The Cancelled books are in the Valuation Office and cover up to the 1970s for most areas.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Thanks Shane

Do you know if the Cancelled Land books are available for online searching or is it a case of travelling down to Dublin to look??

bijou

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They're not online. It'll be physical books you search in the Valuation Office.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Slightly unrelated: Is there much genealogical information to be gained from those books? As with many cases, my farmer ancestors were tenants in Griffith's and then owned their land in 1901. Would you expect there to be much gained by pursuing the land records?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

RGM wrote: »
    Slightly unrelated: Is there much genealogical information to be gained from those books? As with many cases, my farmer ancestors were tenants in Griffith's and then owned their land in 1901. Would you expect there to be much gained by pursuing the land records?

more inferred family information, than direct - but would show transfers in occupier and/or immediate lessor after deaths, sometimes notes on when new buildings were added etc, and changes in status - i.e. when the property was bought out etc.

The entries can sometimes be delayed due to legal processes such as probate etc, so like Griffith's you can see entries listed as 'Reps. of' for quite some time....

For the South the books cover up to about the 1970s in most cases.

Shane

• Advertisement
Advertisement