Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Teacher Teaching Council Requirements

Options
  • 03-10-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Please please help...

I am looking for any secondary school Music teachers, who are registered with the Teaching Council, that did an Arts degree. I cannot find anyone who became a Music teacher after doing an Arts degree!!!

I am having huge trouble in registering as a Music teacher. I'm told that an Arts degree, as of 2006, does not hold enough credits in Music to allow for registration. Even though I had commenced my degree before the Teaching Council was even established!

Don't be shy, any help is much appreciated!

Thanks friends :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Hi all,

Please please help...

I am looking for any secondary school Music teachers, who are registered with the Teaching Council, that did an Arts degree. I cannot find anyone who became a Music teacher after doing an Arts degree!!!

I am having huge trouble in registering as a Music teacher. I'm told that an Arts degree, as of 2006, does not hold enough credits in Music to allow for registration. Even though I had commenced my degree before the Teaching Council was even established!

Don't be shy, any help is much appreciated!

Thanks friends :)

I'm an arts graduate qualified in music graduated 2007? I did music and mathematical studies double honours in NUIM. I have never heard of anyone having an issue with this unless they were doing music as a minor subject and their degree was not double honours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hmm.. help us out here though. I know a good few people who did music with another arts subject and went on to teaching (yonks ago though).. was it...

Single Subject: Modules amounting to 60 credits will be studied by combining 50 credits of Music with 10 credits from another subject passed at the First or Second Arts-Music University Examination,

Major Subject: Modules amounting to 60 credits will be studied by combining 40 credits of Music with 20 credits from another subject passed at the First or Second Arts-Music University Examination,

Joint Subject: Modules amounting to 60 credits will be studied by combining 30 credits of Music with 30 credits from another subject passed at the First or Second Arts-Music University Examination.

If you talk nicely to them 'MAYBE" you might be able to do a few extra credits through RIAM or OU if needed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 orlaghoneill

Hi guys, maybe I can try to explain my situation a bit better..... When I began studying in 2005 it was a Joint Honours degree in Music and French. The goal to become a secondary school teacher. As far as I am aware, the TC required a degree of 180 ECTS, and each subject was to be 60 ECTS. I completed all available modules for both Music and French in my degree and have 70 credits in each. UCD offers the Horizon programme so you take electives over the three years also (the remainder credits). I got registered for French no problem, but the requirements for Music have apparently changed. You now must have 90 credits in your undergraduate degree. The Teaching Council want me to go back to 2nd or 3rd year in UCD and complete another 20 credits before they will register me. UCD still does not cater for this change in their Arts programme, so I'm wondering if any potential music teachers out there realise this! It seems ludicrous that this should affect someone in the system before this change came about?

:(

See what UCD has to say about it...ring UCD and enquire about doing the Joint Arts program (Music and French), ask them how many credits are offered, then inform them that the credits are insufficient according to the TC to become a teacher...It would be interesting to see what they say in reply. They might be able to provide details as to who allocates credits for that course.. If you can get their dept. or name of the group that concerns course credits then contact them with your issue. They should be able to give clarification on the issue.

It seems that the TC are getting the wrong end of the stick.. There are plenty of teachers who qualified years ago (with 'insufficient' credits) but who should be automatically qualified with the TC... your case shouldn;t be any different (except for teaching experience).

I don;t know if you're teaching at the moment but in case you're not.. once you're registered for one subject the dept will pay you for both...In an interview, if you're asked are you registered.. you answer yes and give them your number.

As regards the extra credits maybe you could ask specificially what modules you need,, Maybe going through RIAM or OU might be a cheaper option than enrolling for a year in a course! I dont see any reason why they shouldn't accept these as they recognise them for the degrees!

Sorry I;m not more help, generally it seems if your case is unique then the TC will make you pay one way or another.

Do you have any contacts with the music dept in UCD? or former students knocking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 orlaghoneill

Hi Armelodie,

Thanks for all the advice. I've been going back and forth with the TC on this but they are not budging! I did explain to them time and time again, and asked if they might be getting the wrong end of the stick but to no avail! I've received written confirmation from UCD that I completed what was required of me and they are looking into the credit issue at their end. I will definitely look into doing the additional credits... Although I've been teaching in a school since 2009, it will be difficult to go back to study! I heard that the TC have a way or recognising particular circumstances when you pay to have your qualifications separately assessed.... Although it goes against everything I stand for, I may have to bite the bullet and just pay the money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭piptypibe

Orlagh,
    I would suggest contacting the PPMTA - www.ppmta.ie-the Association of Irish Post Primary Music Teachers.
    Someone there might be able to assist you.

Advertisement