Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike Collins RIP

Options
  • 03-10-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭

Dear fellow posters,

I am saddened to learn of the death of Mike Collins, the Chairman of the DCDR.

Those who visited the line will have met him at some stage. He was an ever present on the railway who led from the front and pushed from the back and was a hands on worker on operation days; no job to dirty or humble for him.

May he rest in peace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Eiretrains

Very sorry to hear that, unfortunately I never met him on the few occasions that I've visited Downpatrick, but his hard work and dedication to the DCDR is well documented, may he rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Iolaire

Desperately sad news and a huge, huge loss, first and foremost for his family but also for the DCDR and the various groups he dealt with across the island. It was a pleasure and honour to know Mike, albeit, too briefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Also, this morning I learnt of the death of Des Coakham, the renouned railway writer, photographer and historian. Another sad loss to our community.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cyberbeagle

Thank you to everyone for their thoughts and best wishes, Mike and Desmond will be sorely missed.

Advertisement