Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If a marriage is on CC Chruch Register, Should it be on Civil Registers as well??

Options
  • 03-10-2012 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I have found a marriage on a Catholic church parish register.

Does this mean there should be a corresponding record on the Civil Register?

I can't find a anything on Family Search Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958

Could the reason be:

1/ The parish priest did not send in the marriage details to the local registration office.

or

2/ The local registration office did not send the details to Dublin.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What's the date of the church marriage? If it's before 1864, there won't be a corresponding civil record because they only starting official registration of RC marriages then. If it's in the first 10 years after that period, there's a small chance that registration didn't happen (as people/clergy got used to registering life events). After that, the most likely cause is mistranscription of one or both names.

If you want to link to the marriage, we can have a go searching for it with you. Some of us have gotten quite cute at using familysearch's index!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

It's 1875.

I searched every marriage in the registration area - ie I didn't use any names, between 1874 and 1878.
    And I looked in the bordering areas as well.

So I've seen every person that got married in those years.

I've also searched using just first names and surnames and cross referenced volume and page number, in case different first names were used and in case surnames got mixed up.

The marriage is simply not there.

It's a while ago since I've searched marriages, and if I remember correctly, I couldn't find about 5 marriages (1870s / 1880s) and I searched very comprehensively.

I'm hoping that the registers in the local registration office are more complete.

AIBDp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I have found a marriage on a Catholic church parish register.

Does this mean there should be a corresponding record on the Civil Register?

there should be a corresponding civil record, but sometimes there were errors in the process. In addition to the reasons you mentioned there can also be mistakes or omissions when the Index created at GRO Head Office - which means the record could be in their books but impossible to find.

What was the parish - could it border another registration district ?

Shane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Which names on this page are the ones you're searching for?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

As mentioned, there should be, but it's possible there isn't one.

A 1903 marriage in Mayo from my family doesn't exist in the civil registers for some reason and may be the death of me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement