Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to ask consultant?

Options
  • 03-10-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if you could all help me put together a list of questions to ask the consultant when I meet him?
    I'll be going for an elective section.

Here's some questions I think I should ask but please feel free to add ones on or advise me:
    How many caesarians have you performed?
    What is the time frame from when I go into theatre to when you finish stitching?
    Will there be student doctors there & if so will they be assisting or observing?
    Have you ever been involved in a birth that resulted in a negligence case?
    How many people will be in the theatre?
    Can I ask someone to record the Caesarian, guts & all?!
    Will my baby be cleaned before skin to skin contact or put directly on me?
    Will my partner be able to cut the cord if he wishes?

Anything else anyone can add?

Unless I change my mind it's between ray o'sullivan & Trevor Hayes in Kilkenny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Do you mind me asking, I'm just curious if there was any specific reason your going for an elective section? Did your gp recommend it or was it something you had a preference for?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Rachineire wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking, I'm just curious if there was any specific reason your going for an elective section? Did your gp recommend it or was it something you had a preference for?
    It's my preference. It's something I'll be insisting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Just so you know you have to have a medical reason to have an elective section. It cant be just because you dont want to have a vaginal birth. Not saying it is just letting you know.

And a section is normally undertaken by a reg/consultant with an SHO (Senior House Officer) assisting. If you want to look up about SHO's before you go in to the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I personally wouldn't ask the question about negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I personally wouldn't ask the question about negligence.
    I'd presume if he was involved in any negligence cases anyway he wouldn't be practising anymore would he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

@princessa. When I asked my gp he was fine with it & basically said once I make my feelings known early then it shouldn't be an issue. Other women I know who requested one didn't have an issue either.
    @how strange. Why not ask that question?
    I'd like to know before I make a decision on who I chose. I don't want someone who isn't competent dealing with my baby's birth or dealing with me.
    @gee g. This is why I want to ask. What if someone isn't competent but is still employed due to union red tape or something?
    I'd like to know if there's any skeletons in their closet & if they have nothing to hide then it's a question that should not pose any insult or threat.

Advertisement