Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expenses for German Erasmus?

Options
  • 03-10-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I'm currently a second year student in NUIM studying German and English and I'm hoping to go abroad next year. I am undecided as to which part of Germany I am going to yet although I'm currently thinking that the University of Mannheim would be good.

My main concern is the cost of living abroad for a full year without running out of cash halfway through. Has anyone been to this part of Germany (or Germany in general) on erasmus? And if so could you outline a rough amount that would get you through the year?

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

I asked someone at the tcd open day and they said around €6000-€10,000. But you may get a eu grant of like €2,000-€3,000.

As far as I know Mannheim is not a huge city so rent will be cheaper. But anyway rent isn't that dear in Germany. Cost of living is about a third cheaper than here especially cigarettes €6 for a pack of 29. Beer is like 6 bottles for €1.40 in lidl. Plus take away and kebabs are nothing.

But don't forgot you'll probably get a job no problem in Germany so any expenses will be off set and a potential employer will see a year abroad as an excellent thing

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Ragdoll742

Cheers for the info! :)

By EU grant do you mean the Erasmus grant itself or something separate? I was under the impression we could still receive our council grants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

You continue to get your VEC grants as well as the erasmus grant.

Advertisement