Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a Job in Japan, problem with Funds, advice needed.

Options
  • 03-10-2012 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello, so basically this morning I found I out at the end of an interview that I got a job in Japan. Only problem is the required amount of money in my bank account.

All I need is €1600 which isnt a lot but I am unemployed and would take me forever to come up with. I also cant say I have a full time job acquired as its a working holiday Visa and stating so would go against the policy of the Visa.

Is there some way around this, or should I try asking friends, which I preferably wouldnt.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I highly doubt you'll find a bank borrowing you money to go off to Japan so yes, friends and family or selling of assets is your best bet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why would saying you have a job go against the policy of a working holiday visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 snakey1989

Ya I figured as Much myself.

Its a fulltime job. A working Holiday Visa is designed for part time work and to vacation around japan, working part-time to support yourself.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

it would take ten weeks to save a 1,000 with 100 a week and 88 for yourself(16 weeks for 1,600)..Thats where to start,and its not so bad then..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

so basically you are knowingly applying for the wrong sort of visa?
    there is a reason why they need to know you have the cash on a working holiday visa - purely for the facts you mention - you will be travelling and only working p/t so they want to know you can support yourself.

If this is a full time job and a legit company, why can you not simply apply for the correct visa? or enquire about them sponsoring you? do they realise you do not have the correct type of visa in place? as I say if it is a legit company surely they will look for confirmation of your visa status when you start?

what are you going to do if you get there and it is discovered that you are not adhering to the terms of your visa? are you prepared to take that risk?

Little Ted wrote: »
    so basically you are knowingly applying for the wrong sort of visa?
    there is a reason why they need to know you have the cash on a working holiday visa - purely for the facts you mention - you will be travelling and only working p/t so they want to know you can support yourself.

If this is a full time job and a legit company, why can you not simply apply for the correct visa? or enquire about them sponsoring you? do they realise you do not have the correct type of visa in place? as I say if it is a legit company surely they will look for confirmation of your visa status when you start?

what are you going to do if you get there and it is discovered that you are not adhering to the terms of your visa? are you prepared to take that risk?

Every word you said is true. Ive seen offers for english teachers wanted and they would gladly proved Visa sponsorship.

I think what they may be getting at is this.

To get an actual working Visa you need a bachelors degree and I dont have one. Now perhaps the staff are disposable, this im still looking into.

I think that if they sponsored a Visa for me I wouldnt have to worry too much about the financial state of my affairs all too much.

perhaps look into the possibility of entering Japan ona tourist visa and then based upon the job offer applying to change your visa status. Not sure how this would work for Japan, but a few of my friends did this for Oz - they had previously had working hol visas so couldn't get one again, so instead applied for jobs before going, got a provisional offer entered the country as tourists, and then got sponsored by the company. Another one got her partner to sponsor her as a defacto. Not sure how this would apply to Japan but there are ways and means.

I know some people who have taken a cash advance from their credit card, lodged it, printed off the bank statement and then repaid the credit card. Risky, but it might work and they will accept it.

Ya, the funny thing is, We irish dont even need a Visa to Enter Japan. Its called Visa Waiver. We can more or less hop on our flight to Japan. And stay for up to six months at a time, providing obviously we dont work etc.

As for changing Visa ive often read of people having to leave the country for a day or so while its being processed or something of the like.

See Ive been unemployed since 2009 really. Work is just so scarce like. hence I dont havea credit card and if I applyed for one, I doubt id get one due to my financial state of affairs. All in all its a cluster ****.

Its this bloody cash in the bank thats doing me over. I mean I moved home 1 year ago. I pay the parents €60 quid to help them out and leave €20 for myself for whatever and save €100 a week. At the end of this month i should have €900 anyway. Its still €700 off.

This is all depending on a friend paying for my ticket, we have an arrangement made but im waiting on him to get back to me. I honestly hate this ****ing country lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I'm working in Japan on the same visa as you, so hopefully I can help a bit.

Firstly, there's a reason the funds are as they are. Also, it's 1600e with a return ticket / ticket out of the country. You need 3200e if you don't have proof of a return ticket purchased? Just in case because the embassy will check that. To be honest, you need at least those amounts of money. Pay is usually monthly here so you could be waiting a long time for your first pay check. I came over with 3,200 and it was very much needed because of start up costs etc. Japan is expensive. My boyfriend did get his parents to transfer some money temporarily into his account for the purposes of a bank statement for the visa, but only because he wasn't going to hit the target until just before we left (too late to apply for the visa). So you could do that if you really need to apply for the visa soon, but I wouldn't recommend doing that and then coming here with less money.

With regards to working full time on the visa - My job is very flexible and I can choose to work part time or full time. In the embassy, she said to me "Do the company know you have a working holiday visa and can only work part-time?" and I said "Yes". That was the only check made on their part. I know people here on this visa working full time, then using days off / vacations to travel and no one, including the company, minds. Some weeks, I'll work full time if I need the money (for traveling!) I know technically they should be on working visas, but because of how easy the working holiday visa is to get and the lack of a degree requirement that's the way it works out. No one will really care if you work full time, just don't say it to the embassy.

• Advertisement

I'm working in Japan on the same visa as you, so hopefully I can help a bit.

Firstly, there's a reason the funds are as they are. Also, it's 1600e with a return ticket / ticket out of the country. You need 3200e if you don't have proof of a return ticket purchased? Just in case because the embassy will check that. To be honest, you need at least those amounts of money. Pay is usually monthly here so you could be waiting a long time for your first pay check. I came over with 3,200 and it was very much needed because of start up costs etc. Japan is expensive. My boyfriend did get his parents to transfer some money temporarily into his account for the purposes of a bank statement for the visa, but only because he wasn't going to hit the target until just before we left (too late to apply for the visa). So you could do that if you really need to apply for the visa soon, but I wouldn't recommend doing that and then coming here with less money.

With regards to working full time on the visa - My job is very flexible and I can choose to work part time or full time. In the embassy, she said to me "Do the company know you have a working holiday visa and can only work part-time?" and I said "Yes". That was the only check made on their part. I know people here on this visa working full time, then using days off / vacations to travel and no one, including the company, minds. Some weeks, I'll work full time if I need the money (for traveling!) I know technically they should be on working visas, but because of how easy the working holiday visa is to get and the lack of a degree requirement that's the way it works out. No one will really care if you work full time, just don't say it to the embassy.

Hmm true. I mean I would ask my parents for the money for the sake of a balance of the statement. I mean, il have at least €1200-1400 a few days prior to the plane taking off lets say, hypothetically. My parents are against me going even though im 23 lol. They done have a say nor a hope of stopping me. It also means they wont support me even if they had the money.

Also a friend said he buy the ticket for me, im making adeal with him that id pay him back as soo nas I get tehre. The reason being I have a job got already. Free board, food and internet, no bills. I get around €1300 s month on top of everything. So i id needle little to nothing to survive on for the first month.

Its a great opportunity like.

I mean I know I have to be in my own country to apply for a working Hol visa, ive already rang the embassy. The fact is too many factors are dependent on others and not enough on myself. Plus this countrys lack of work is P*ssing me off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

snakey1989 wrote: »
    Hello, so basically this morning I found I out at the end of an interview that I got a job in Japan. Only problem is the required amount of money in my bank account.

All I need is €1600 which isnt a lot but I am unemployed and would take me forever to come up with. I also cant say I have a full time job acquired as its a working holiday Visa and stating so would go against the policy of the Visa.

Is there some way around this, or should I try asking friends, which I preferably wouldnt.

If you're looking for a way to con the visa system of Japan, and therby breaking the law ... I'm afraid Boards.ie is NOT the place :P Good luck :D

If you're looking for a way to con the visa system of Japan, and therby breaking the law ... I'm afraid Boards.ie is NOT the place :P Good luck :D

Im not like that, so I wont need luck on that front. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Your username says different !! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

Have you even taught English as a foreign language before?

Your username says different !! :P
    Different type os Snakey! hehe ;)

Have you even taught English as a foreign language before?
    Wel li worked with a lot of foregn nationals, so in a sense I tried my best to teach them individually. As for in a classroom. No I have not

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is clear that you don't meet any of the requirements for this visa, so why not look for the correct visa in the first place?

If you get caught out on this, it will have very serious consequences for you going forward, should you ever wish to visit or take up residence in a non EU country, meaning that is is most likely that permission to do so will be refused.

Wel li worked with a lot of foregn nationals, so in a sense I tried my best to teach them individually. As for in a classroom. No I have not
    How is that in any way similar to teaching English as a foreign language? Do you appreciate how patronising that sounds? Like seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

My buddy had to wait 2 months for his first paycheck from his teaching job, it seems to be a common enough thing in Japan, so I'd say be careful on that front.

He'll soon be coming back to do a degree, because he just cant get a full visa with the strict requirements (plus he didn't wait to be an english assistant for the rest of his days).

• Advertisement
Advertisement