Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When is a classic a classic?

Options
  • 03-10-2012 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

Just looking at various vintage rallies up and down the country...aren't lads taking the mickey bringing in 1990s 'performance' cars and beat-up VW Golfs/Jettas and to my eye; 'modern' tractors etc?

Where do you draw the line? What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,027 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We've discussed this many a time ;)

There are all sorts of definitions out there and there is no consensus here as to what is or should be a classic car. Each to their own definition of a classic car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Indeed, it's a broad definition. There is true classics like high end stuff like jags and the like but my own interpretation is if a guy has a car that's not usually his daily road car and he is preserving it in good condition close to its original specification then it's ok by me to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Just looking at various vintage rallies up and down the country...aren't lads taking the mickey bringing in 1990s 'performance' cars and beat-up VW Golfs/Jettas and to my eye; 'modern' tractors etc?

Where do you draw the line? What do ye think?

I can't see why people have an issue with this. Any car that is no longer marketed and is unusal can be regarded as a classic. These cars are generally of interest to other classic users and if they are well kept then it is great to see them. The more the merrier ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't see why a daily driver shouldn't be considered a classic. On the other hand, I drive a pretty rare '96 Volvo 850R in great nick, and while I'd be proud to have it in the car park at a classic car meet, I wouldn't dream of trying to show it; and I think anyone that shows anything of that sort of age is deluding themselves. I can still buy OEM parts for it for feck's sake.

I don't agree with a lot of Gov.ie's ideas, but I reckon they got it right at 30 years for motor tax. I don't think I'll ever be into showing cars anyway, but I'd like a run around the Phoenix Park some year, and I don't think I'd be happy doing it without classic tax in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

In Germany, AFIK, the 'H' historisch plate goes on cars over 30yo - Oldtimer/Classics, but the term 'Youngtimer' seems to be applied to cars of 15-30yo that can get a seasonal number plate 05/10 month (Mai-Okt) of the year.
    Nice if the DoE here got the finger out instead of losing €'s because people won't buy / tax older cars:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Well according to my insurer, Japanese (most, not all) cars aren't classics, they're just old cars. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

If someone thinks it a classic, and it is old, it is a classic. That is all.

That's probably the worst definition I've seen yet. Define "old".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Capri wrote: »
    In Germany, AFIK, the 'H' historisch plate goes on cars over 30yo - Oldtimer/Classics, but the term 'Youngtimer' seems to be applied to cars of 15-30yo that can get a seasonal number plate 05/10 month (Mai-Okt) of the year.
    Nice if the DoE here got the finger out instead of losing €'s because people won't buy / tax older cars:mad:

Yes but H plate to ME means two things, First, the car doesnt have to pass an emissions test which allows it to drive into an emissions restricted zone in the city, so you can drive your oldtimer WITH H plate into the city. Next it means something around 190 euro per year tax regardless of engine size, not quite the 50 euros in Ireland but its a flatrate. I think the 20-30 year old cars nicknamed youngtimer dont get any concessions, they pay regular tax based on engine size and emissions, and unless they pass emissions thresholds they dont drive into the city. Cars that can drive into the city get a green sticker in the window, others are red and yellow and blue but I dont know what they mean.

actually any more info id appreciate, sometimes getting info in Germany about this stuff is such a pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

Hmmm when was the last time someone seen a Mk1 Mondeo or Granada Scorpio?
    I'd call them both moden classics.

Actually a modern classic show would be awesome!
    Cavaliers, Early Mondeos, Sierras, Granadas, Early Primeras etc... Really common stuff once apon a time that you don't see anymore. :)

• Advertisement

Scorpio I'll give you, but if /any/ model of Mundane is to be considered a classic, I'd like to submit a small pool of vomit for review.... ;)

dahamsta wrote: »
    Scorpio I'll give you, but if /any/ model of Mundane is to be considered a classic, I'd like to submit a small pool of vomit for review.... ;)

Mk1 Mondeo Si or a 4x4 or even an early Ghia or a Citrine?

Mondeo_1995.jpg

Love them! :D :cool:

Cue vomit!

dahamsta wrote: »
    Cue vomit!

Each to their own. :)

What would be your pic of the 90s saloons?

Without thinking too much about it, I reckon the Lotus Carlton'd be pretty close to the top. For estates, the one I'm driving. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Whats people's thinking on engine size? Im not talking about Minis or anything, I mean a car with a classic shape, but under the bonnet sits a piddling engine. ie an early 90's BMW e30 with a 1600cc. Seen afew of these at events. The purists would say you need something with alot more poke than that to constitute a classic but if the car is in great condition and isnt seen on the roads everyday of the week, surely its ok to show???

I drive a '94 e36 myself. Wouldnt dream of entering it in anything either but I get so many complements about the great nick its in, that Im almost tempted to!

Advertisement