Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about doing Geography on my own. Opinions?

Options
  • 02-10-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Going into 5th year I didn't get my subject choice. I had to do biology as a result and as it stands it's my worst subject and taking up alot of time. I'm in 6th year now as I kept saying to myself 'it'll be alright'', 1 month into 6th year now and I realise I'm in trouble. I am studying 8 subjects at the minute: English, Irish, Maths, Biology, Business, Economics, Spanish, Applied Maths. Pass Spanish, honours in the others.

The students studying it say it's fine, handy etc.. So would I be able to do it on my own? I'd have to get some grinds just to get to know syllabus and that, and for the project of course. I know it's a long corse, but I believe it could be done..

I'm aiming for about 480-500 points wise and that's the main issue, use geography for points, I'm thinking.

If you're a student doing it at the minute or could offer any advice, let me know! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Madjackjr

That's a tough one.
    I did geography when I repeated and didn't do as well as I hoped. You are right in saying there is a lot of content, as such, I would recommend it, but that is me. Does your school offer practical subjects e.g. Construction Studies. This would in my opinion offer you the best hope in gaining points.

Another way at looking at this is the fact that you are already doing eight subjects. In the end you will be only marked out of your best six. Why spread your self thin over more subjects. The more you do, the less time you have for the different subjects. The less time you have for each subject the lower your over all score will be in each and the less points you get from your top six. If you are going to spend money on grinds why not spend it on Biology you already are familiar with the syllabus and a lot of the content in the text books. It would be no harm taking to you Biology teacher and discuses the problems you are having. You would find that teachers are more than happy to offer advise and happier still to get feed back from their students on how they are doing be it good or bad.

Just some of my thoughts
    Hopes this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

Wow first of all, you're doing a lot of subjects ! I'm a repeat student, I dropped Irish and French this year and have taken up Economics and plan to do it within a year so I know the feeling of taking up a completely new subject.

I do Geography (Higher), and I'd say that it is one of my better subjects. The actual fieldwork project is extremely easy, I think it being worth 20% is a reason why not many actually fail Geography at higher level, or at-least in my school anyway. You study four sections - Physical, Regional, Elective and the Option/Essay question where most tend to do the Geoecology question because Soils & Biomes are easy to learn. Three questions come up on each section so you'll get a choice of three questions on Physical, you only answer one of them and the same for Regional, Elective & the Geoecology question.

If you are going to take up Geography, i'd recommend buying the 'Exam Skills' revision book by Sue Honan as it made studying so easy for me. It basically contains sample answers to a B1/A2 standard on every question that has come up on the Geography syllabus since 2006, when they changed the syllabus. Not to mention, the actual Geography syllabus is pretty repetitive. For example, they pretty much used the same Geocology Biome question for 2010 & 2011, which is worth 80 marks out of a total of 400 for the paper. Hope I helped a little ! (:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mariecxx

Fresco_007 wrote: »
    Going into 5th year I didn't get my subject choice. I had to do biology as a result and as it stands it's my worst subject and taking up alot of time. I'm in 6th year now as I kept saying to myself 'it'll be alright'', 1 month into 6th year now and I realise I'm in trouble. I am studying 8 subjects at the minute: English, Irish, Maths, Biology, Business, Economics, Spanish, Applied Maths. Pass Spanish, honours in the others.

The students studying it say it's fine, handy etc.. So would I be able to do it on my own? I'd have to get some grinds just to get to know syllabus and that, and for the project of course. I know it's a long corse, but I believe it could be done..

I'm aiming for about 480-500 points wise and that's the main issue, use geography for points, I'm thinking.

If you're a student doing it at the minute or could offer any advice, let me know! Thanks!

why are doing so many subjects?!?!!? its ur best 6 like and ur not goinng for that many points??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

He's only doing one extra one? He's doing 7 HL and 1 OL, it's not that unusual, a lot of people do applied maths as an extra subject.

To the OP, I cant see why you shouldnt do it but you might need to neglect biology a bit. I did geography and got an A2, I missed the A1 because of the project and the short questions primarily, while doing much better in the more difficult bits. My point in saying that is it's MUCH more manageable than biology. I've heard one word deviations from the marking scheme can get you 0 marks...whereas in geography, for example, this year there was an awful question never asked before and taken straight from a part of the syllabus we hadn't done. I just took what I knew and added in some linking sentences and some waffle, got full marks. A lot of it is common sense once you break it down - the question was on corporate strategy (and actually, it's a lot like unit 7 in business, we used that to study it) and I made up a strategy for Dell of "maximising profits while minimising wastage" - very vague, very workable. :P

The key is seeing the links though, otherwise you'll be weighed down with information. For example, you study primary/secondary/tertiary activities in regions - if you know that California (SW USA is one of the regions) grows grape vines, you know that the secondary sector manufactures wine, and that the tertiary/tourism sector involves wine-tasting! It's just logic and again, I had to improvise when a question came up that had appeared in 2011 that I hadn't studied and got full marks by twisting it in my favour. :)

I've probably made it sound easier than it actually is...it requires an awful lot of tedious rote-learning, especially since it's nowhere near as predictable anymore as it used to be, but so does biology I guess.

Hope that helped a bit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fresco_007

This is a general reply..

First, if I took up geography I would drop biology and join the geography class on at that time so would still have the 8. I'm not sure if I will keep up applied maths. That leaves me 7, and I don't want to count Spanish, I'm not putting much time into it. I'm just using that as a 3rd language for U.C.D. as it's necessary.

My school offers D.C.G and technology. No woodwork, metalwork or anything like that.

How are you finding economics? Are you getting grinds or just doing it yourself or getting last years work from the teacher or? As you say there is alot of choice, which is great. Everybody loves coice! If I studied smart and not just do the whole book I think I could do it, I will obviously need some help but I would primarily be left to do it myself.

Yeah, alot of people say you can waffle a bit alright. But of course parts will have to be backed up with facts - so the students doing it say! The SRP strategy? 2 marks for each 'Significant Relevant Point'. This would have to be done for each region - 4/5 regions I think. Seems logical!

Appreciate the responses!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will need a teacher to sign off on the project work for Geography, so they will have to see your work as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BrittneyC_xo

I decided to leave my Business class and join the Economics class as they are on at the same time, and Business is one of my best subjects anyway! It's a weird feeling joining a class and for a week or two I hated it because I felt so behind in comparison to the other students which, is true since they've been studying it for an extra year. I bought a 'Rapid Revision' book which has helped me quite a bit, but I don't think I'll get grinds for Economics. The course is short and it really isn't as tough as I thought it would be.. so far! :p

Yeah, the SRP's are pretty easy to get if you give some statistics, Irish examples, or even diagrams (A diagram with two labelled features is worth 4 marks!) in the question that you are discussing. Anyway, good-luck with Geography if you decide to take it up and drop Biology.. Geography is waay more easier than Biology, in my opinion. Hopefully your class didn't actually go on their fieldwork trip yet, I know some schools who do it quite early - my class is going on ours next week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fresco_007

So you're doing both economics and business now? Woaw, that's good. I like both, they're my bankers for the leaving! I really like economics so if there is any small part you're stuck on give us a shout, I might be able to help!

Thanks for that! They went already but the date for it to be done is for Janurary. They're just doing rough drafts, hopefully that wouldn't stop me from doing it. Would be harsh. Hopefully not!:p If I do take it up, I'd get a teacher to help me out with the project (if it's possible because they went already), the formalities and that. If I had to, I'd just do go out and do it myself too, the teacher could help me out and tell me what to do and that.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 limerickmark

I see your logic, but I have to say it's a bit too late to take it up on your own for the remainder of the year!!
    your best bet is to focus your time and energy into your 8 subjects!
    Geography, is without doubt, one of the broadest courses on the LC!! you'd have to put in so much time and energy to even secure a C grade (People will tell you its easy to narrow down - don't listen! the exam is gone unpredictable)
    You wouldn't have time to get the A grade (trust me I got A1 in 2011 and 2012) and theres no point in wasting all your time to not get the A grade..

Use your time for your other subjects, it be the wisest idea.
    Last thing you want is to be overwhelmed and panicked going into these exam!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Anyusername

Hi guys,

What books are ye using /rec for Geography?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mariecxx

I see your logic, but I have to say it's a bit too late to take it up on your own for the remainder of the year!!
    your best bet is to focus your time and energy into your 8 subjects!
    Geography, is without doubt, one of the broadest courses on the LC!! you'd have to put in so much time and energy to even secure a C grade (People will tell you its easy to narrow down - don't listen! the exam is gone unpredictable)
    You wouldn't have time to get the A grade (trust me I got A1 in 2011 and 2012) and theres no point in wasting all your time to not get the A grade..

Use your time for your other subjects, it be the wisest idea.
    Last thing you want is to be overwhelmed and panicked going into these exam!!!

hi just wondering as u have been there and done it, do u think it would be worthwhile if i dropped history and took up economics instead? nearly everyone got an a in the economics class last year and i have been given a really dreadful teacher this year. she has it in her head we are going to get the whole course covered in one year. just wondering ur thoughts? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 limerickmark

mariecxx wrote: »
    hi just wondering as u have been there and done it, do u think it would be worthwhile if i dropped history and took up economics instead? nearly everyone got an a in the economics class last year and i have been given a really dreadful teacher this year. she has it in her head we are going to get the whole course covered in one year. just wondering ur thoughts? thanks

you got the wrong person! I haven't done economics, I think the person above mine did

Advertisement