Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Screen of Death

Options
  • 02-10-2012 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya, I have been getting this message with the blue screen of death which included the usual message about hardware or uninstall recently installed software message displayed on my computer a few times over the weekend and was constantly happening today hasn't happened in the past hour which is a good thing.

Some of the files saved i've copied onto a memory stick as backup and deleted hem of the computer.

I've had installed a couple of things and have uninstalled them including works, adobe and nero software. I got the feeling that nero might been the culprit but have had a few cases regarding a few things like low virtual memory, check dr disk or something and recently got a new message regarding winconfig sys32.

It may have mentioned something about its registries when I pressed the F8 safe mode option the sys32 was common thing in the list. I didn't let it finish what it was doing due to impatience, restarted computer a few times since it was in safe mode and now back to windows xp running normally.

Since I uninstalled nero the computer has been working more efficiently is this a good sign? I don't need to do anything else? Have the os xp system cd just in case I may need to reinstall. I be handy enough regarding troubleshooting PC's but haven't come across this blue screen on the PC before. So here's hoping I won't have much left to do except back up files otherwise may need to get it fixed by a techy or get the processor replaced?

My internet has been going funny lately too, quiet slow lately but seems to have improved tonight. It often unplug unknowingly to me I try to be sure all the wires are connected and so on. Maybe just a weak internet connection in my area? Might have anything to do with the blue screen?

Tried doing updates on computer but some failed could this be causing an issue with the blue screen as well?

One other thing I have discovered that there is something wrong with Gmail I wasn't able to go on it or it loose connection. Got a message saying the real gmail server address was being attacked and not the real gmail so could this have something do with the blue screen? Has anyone had this problem with gmail?

Noticed as well that chrome as become dreadfully slow both on my computer and laptop might there be a patch fault in it or something might have reason for slow internet due to chrome browser and have something to do with blue screen might be causing another issue? Noticed too that my firewall was disabled, I disabled spam filter but not the firewall unless something disabled which wasn't me, could that be affecting my internet and browser?

What am I to do? Could there be anything else that be causing the blue screen? What measures do I need to take to fix it on my own before last resort of getting it fixed or change processor? Only got a new screen last year and don't want to have to get a new computer/laptop unless it necessary.

Thanks in advance
    DD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Its an 8 year old computer windows XP. Something to do with partition drives cropped up on list after F8 check.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

8 years old , it might be hardware , it might be malware

but check that you haven't run out of disk space first, ideally you should have at least 15% free so things don't get cluttered

use diagnostic program ( on old Dell's press F12 on boot up ) to check the memory/RAM and the Hard drive are OK

malware - boot up in safe mode and do a scan with your antivirus program

if the fault is very recent a system restore might work to before you started installing and uninstalling, but perhaps only after you have verified that the memory and hard drive are OK and you have no malware

Advertisement