Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying

Options
  • 02-10-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all. I would like to know if any of you Junior Cert students of 2013 have begun studying yet. WHere did you start? How did you plan it? How did you study? Did you use flashcards any tips or advice from anyone would be appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How you study will depend on your own style of learning. For some people it will be flashcards, for some people it will be mind maps, recording themselves reading notes, highlighting sections, it depends on how you learn as to which you will find most helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Clodz6 wrote: »
    Hi all. I would like to know if any of you Junior Cert students of 2013 have begun studying yet. WHere did you start? How did you plan it? How did you study? Did you use flashcards any tips or advice from anyone would be appreciated
    Tbh, for me, I study different for almost every subject! But, when it comes down to it it's all about the person. Like spurious said, everyone has their preferences :) I for one, can't use mind maps for the life of me :-P

Any subject in particular? :) Also, a timetable's always handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ampmm

You've loads of time yet... I only studied for about a week before the mocks and 2 weeks before the jc and I did fine(8a2b all honours).. just try and understand your core subjects and subjects you're planning on doing for lc...No point killing yourself studying if it won't help you in the long run(lc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I started studying in September of my JC - but focused mainly on History at that time (because I found it to be a huge course!), but I didn't get serious until Christmas-ish, by then I had figured out what worked best for me. But, I had worked all the way through 1st and 2nd year... I didn't just get in gear come 3rd Year...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I started properly studying for the JC three weeks beforehand and got 9 honours and 3 passes (all higher level) So don't fret too much. I cannot stress enough how over exaggerated the JC is. Everyone is different I suppose. At least get a good bit of studying done a few weeks before the mocks, go over things now and again, maybe start writing notes now (flashcards worked best for me) but don't study them yet until a while. Focus on getting started on your projects for JC (ESPECIALLY if you do art - get a lot of your work done before the mocks because you'll end up rushing it last minute and you'll have that stress on top of studying for the exams). If you are unhappy with what levels you're taking for a certain subject PLEASE talk to a teacher. I wish I did and I probably would only have 1 pass and 11 honours. It is almost impossible to fail anything unless you are lazy (you don't seem to be though). Don't start worrying until about December but start your projects, listen well in class and do ALL your homework, it is a really big help. Hope I helped :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I started once I got back to school. I usually just write my own notes since it helps me stop my mind wander and remember things since I'm thinking about them. For languages I write out the word five times and see if I know it, at the end I'll test myself on all of them and again the next day, if I don't know a few I'll write them out again until I do.
    For maths I just go through my maths books from the three years and do questions to see if i can still do them.
    I'm hoping to get some podcasts onto my ipod this weekend and watch a history documentary or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I've been meaning to ask, is the entire country doing JC Project maths next year?

Timetables hahahahaha I spent more time making it than actually following it. Everyone's different I suppose it might work well for some, but let's face it, the majority of us are lazy as shhhhhhhh.

Also, writing out notes for yourself works if you can actually read your own handwriting as fluidly as typed text, which I can't, like the 99%. :) I found just answering past questions 24/7 makes you start to remember stuff in your head, rather than just staring blankly at the book or notes. My business teacher was like that, she'd give you out the same questions over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Leopard_Star

I've been meaning to ask, is the entire country doing JC Project maths next year?
    Ugh.i hate project maths,its so hard and really who needs it -_-

In school we did a little test on what study type is best for you.its really good.It tells you how you find studying best and then it gives you tips on how to study depending on your study type.
    I found it really useful.
    If you just google VARK and press on the first result,it'll bring you to a website.on the side there will be options of what you want.press questionaire and fill it in.in the end press ok and it will give you your results.e.g let say your result is aural.it'll say-

You have a strong Aural learning preference.

Use the following helpsheets for study strategies that apply to your learning preference:

aural
    press on aural and it will give you tips on how you will find studying easiest :)

Btw You can select multiple answers on the questionaire if more than one option apply to you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Clodz6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Okay I'll be quick.

I got 8 A's & 3 B's for JC last year (All Honors Level)

I started studying the week OF the Junior Cert

How did I do it?

It's simple,

1.pay attention in class!
    2.do your homework!
    3. Study for any small class tests

I recommend starting studying at least a week before the JC. Preferably 2 weeks, so you could do 1 subject a night.

In short, don't worry about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Ugh.i hate project maths,its so hard and really who needs it -_-

I hated it too.......until it eventually "clicked" about 1 month before the JC.

Very simple, just follow this rule

1. Attempt every question

Attempt Marks are worth 3/5 or 6/10.
    That means you can get a C just by attempting the paper!
    You can get attempt marks by pretty much just rewriting the question!

That's not to say that I think project maths is good or anything, cause it's an awful way of teaching maths, but it's easy to cheat the system, without actually understanding it, although you will understand it eventually, when it "clicks" sometime in 3rd year

• Registered Users Posts: 45 iang198

All you need to do for the JC is listen in class, do your homework and study the week before hand! That's what I did and I go 10 as (all honours) Don't stress yourself out :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

iang198 wrote: »
    All you need to do for the JC is listen in class, do your homework and study the week before hand! That's what I did and I go 10 as (all honours) Don't stress yourself out :)

Listening properly in class is probably the best thing you can do for any exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MichaelGUFC

Couple of Cs couple of Ds,be grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

hi im a j cert student this year im doin all honour except for irish. i do study 2 and half hours after school.(includes homework) i studied before and during christmas and the week before the mocks! not the best idea ah sure what can u do mostly b's and c's .
    i can't remember any of that now tho:(
    do ur homework to the best of ur capability especially exam questions
    rhats all im doin right now at the moment im scared for english ;s any one have any advise ont the poetry??

*thats*

Jamez735 wrote: »
    Okay I'll be quick.

I got 8 A's & 3 B's for JC last year (All Honors Level)

I started studying the week OF the Junior Cert

How did I do it?

It's simple,

1.pay attention in class!
    2.do your homework!
    3. Study for any small class tests

I recommend starting studying at least a week before the JC. Preferably 2 weeks, so you could do 1 subject a night.

In short, don't worry about it!

are u serious??
    :)

Advertisement