Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous flower pot

Options
  • 02-10-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else noticed how badly positioned the flower pots in the 'fashion quarter'are?

I was diving down Catherine street on Saturday afternoon and I was out in the middle of Roches street before I could see if any cars were coming down.

If they leave it like that, especially at such a busy intersection, there'll be a bad crash some day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,789 ✭✭✭✭phog

source wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed how badly positioned the flower pots in the 'fashion quarter'are?

I was diving down Catherine street on Saturday afternoon and I was out in the middle of Roches street before I could see if any cars were coming down.

If they leave it like that, especially at such a busy intersection, there'll be a bad crash some day.

Yes, that one in front of Fine Wines is probably the worst but probably no more dangerous than a high sided vehicle parked in a loading bay or parking spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

They had double yellow lines around those corners so that people could see cars coming from all directions. Now I can't understand how they got permission to put these tall boxes right in the line of view. Don't double yellow lines mean anything to those ejits????Would love to know who's bright idea on the city council was that! Name and shame I say :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Agree about the Fine Wines one ... it stops people turning left from Roches St. if there is any traffic on Catherine st. ( I like cruising Catherine St. .......:) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm still looking for the "fashion" in the "quarter".......... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

seachto7 wrote: »

They are looking to extend it as well. Money, drain, piss.

I hate turning onto Catherine street from roches because the road itself is too tight and people parks like dicks. The plant boxes are crazy especially the one by the chicken hut because when a van parks in the loading bay in front of it, legally, it blocks the pedestrian crossing view for me and the pedestrian. When we cannot see each that's dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

The whole bloody area is dangerous. The only thing stopping a seriously fatal accident happening, is most cars are crawling along there due to bad parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

seachto7 wrote: »

I began reading this thread in agreement with the posts, that thing outside Fine Wines is a pain in the hole, but... the small/narrowminded view of the last few posts is very annoying, if you are looking for the fashion just have a walk around, the place is choc-A-bloc with womens boutiques/shoe shops etc, it is a decent idea to bring people who have a bit of cash to spend into town, it seems all anyone on here wants is a Penneys on every corner, maybe another few dealz shops also.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I began reading this thread in agreement with the posts, that thing outside Fine Wines is a pain in the hole, but... the small/narrowminded view of the last few posts is very annoying, if you are looking for the fashion just have a walk around, the place is choc-A-bloc with womens boutiques/shoe shops etc, it is a decent idea to bring people who have a bit of cash to spend into town, it seems all anyone on here wants is a Penneys on every corner, maybe another few dealz shops also.

That highlighted bit sounds horrific.:)

Although some of the advertising for the fashion quarter has been pretty cringeworthy in it's own right, and whilst I think the idea that simply renaming an area improves it is a laughable one, it is a street that has long provided stores for a number of folk and if some cringeworthy advertising brings in some extra revenue for those businesses then more power to them.

It would be nice though to see the idea have a knock on effect and see a number of new modern (in terms of clothing not building look) fashion outlets, for men and women, open in the general vicinity.

LB6 wrote: »
    They had double yellow lines around those corners so that people could see cars coming from all directions. Now I can't understand how they got permission to put these tall boxes right in the line of view. Don't double yellow lines mean anything to those ejits????Would love to know who's bright idea on the city council was that! Name and shame I say :mad:

They still have double yellow lines and most of the "pots" are at least 4 meters back form the junction, at a guess I'd say that's about as much as the yellow lines were as the councils were trying to maximise oon street parking.
    Beer Baron wrote: »
    They are looking to extend it as well. Money, drain, piss.

I hate turning onto Catherine street from roches because the road itself is too tight and people parks like dicks. The plant boxes are crazy especially the one by the chicken hut because when a van parks in the loading bay in front of it, legally, it blocks the pedestrian crossing view for me and the pedestrian. When we cannot see each that's dangerous.

So it's not the "pot" that's the issue it's the loading bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

The one closest to the moody cow actually blocks the traffic lights:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    That highlighted bit sounds horrific.:)

Although some of the advertising for the fashion quarter has been pretty cringeworthy in it's own right, and whilst I think the idea that simply renaming an area improves it is a laughable one, it is a street that has long provided stores for a number of folk and if some cringeworthy advertising brings in some extra revenue for those businesses then more power to them.

It would be nice though to see the idea have a knock on effect and see a number of new modern (in terms of clothing not building look) fashion outlets, for men and women, open in the general vicinity.

Look, a few people on here seemed to be wetting themselves last week at some rumour that Penneys were to move into the Childers Rd, their third Limerick store, meanwhile the attempt to create and publicise a "Fashion Quarter" is ridiculed.
    I am in agreement that Limerick is pathetic for Menswear and I don't know much about womens clothes but I am lead to believe that there are a few nice shops operating in the area for all ages, all locally owned businesses and all contributing to the attempt to change the cities image and attract shoppers to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

phog wrote: »
    So it's not the "pot" that's the issue it's the loading bay.

The loading bay is a consequence of the flower pot because the loading was moved. Had it not been for the flower box the loading bay would be fine. Now the vehicle would have to drive into the junction and reverse back across some of the junction to adequately park/fit in the bay.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    The loading bay is a consequence of the flower pot because the loading was moved. Had it not been for the flower box the loading bay would be fine. Now the vehicle would have to drive into the junction and reverse back across some of the junction to adequately park/fit in the bay.

Still cant see this having anything to do with the "pots".

There has been a parking/loading bay there for yonks and if the space closest to the junction was the only free one then it nearly always necessitated reversing into the space.

Have a look here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I nearly hit that one turning left at Fine Wines and I consider myself to be the World's Best Driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Major crash on roches street according to live 95fm. Will be interesting to hear if it was at the junction of roches street/Catherine street.

It was the very top, passed it at half 11,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It was the very top, passed it at half 11,

Not surprised. Cars cut across each other all the time at the top of Roches Street.

Advertisement