Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abduction Dooradoyle

Options
  • 02-10-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Anybody heard this? I heard that a child was approached at st pauls school by a man and a women in a red van.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

There are some real ****ing creeps out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I'll never understand people like this, they are clearly deranged.

And why a van, kind of conspicuous.

In other news, they arrested a guy in Wales for abducting the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I'll never understand people like this, they are clearly deranged.

And why a van, kind of conspicuous.

In other news, they arrested a guy in Wales for abducting the child.

Any link or any word as to the well-being of the child?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Any link or any word as to the well-being of the child?

Some wasteland near the town has been closed off by the police. Not looking good :( Is on Sky News atm.

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

Its true what one woman said who runs the austrialias missing persons register: that you cannot leave your kids alone,especially after school hours as thats when they usually strike,better not to leave them walk alone home from school or to school..

Thats when many abductions take place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'd love to see a statistical break-down of recorded abductions in this country. How many each year, how many were taken in vans, how many of those were by persons known to the child, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I know the school did send out a text to parents to be vigilant but i did not hear anything about an attempted abduction at St.Paul's. Maybe just someone trying to fill in some gaps that don't exist. Probably Hopefully just a rumour!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

So first off it was a white van, then a red golf and now it's turned into a red van. Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The 2 links you posted are a very poor answer to IO's question

The 1st link is to a Website that is frankly sensationalist and contains no actual solid information or statistics , i.e figures on actual honest to goodness attempted abductions ones that are reported and treated as crimes by the police.
    And that in its opening Blurb attempts to sell a book on keeping children safe!
    Maybe that's why my child will get kidnapped!
    I didn't buy the book outlining how to keep him safe! :eek:

The majority of posts are panic stricken knee jerks along the lines of
    NSW Police are appealing for the public’s help after a boy was approached by a man in Sydney’s northwest this morning.

About 8.10am (Tuesday 28 August 2012), the 10-year-old boy got off his school bus on Galston Road at Hornsby Heights.
    He began walking north along the road when a man in a white 4WD yelled out to him.
    The boy ignored the man and continued walking onto Bushlands Road.
    The man pulled up
    alongside the boy, opened the passenger side door and yelled for him to come closer.
    Now whilst all these reports are accompanied by a link to the crimestoppers website they are generic report a crime sites, nothing specific to an incident., there is no link to police press release's or further media corroboration.

What I would point out here is the similarity to every other similar story told and posted on social media recently(And indeed the majority of reports on that link)....
    Enough of a description of the man/vehicle to make it plausible, yet not enough to lead to an arrest or to lead anything in fact other than bloody hysteria!
    Enough misinformation to lead to a moral panic, and perhaps even down the road some poor person being attacked for driving the wrong car, in the wrong place and deciding to ask for directions!
    Because that kind of vigilantism is a much more likely outcome to these panics than an actual ''stranger danger'' kidnapping!

Yes we should teach our kids to be vigilant, to be aware of their safety and to report anything suspicious.
    But we should not constantly keep them in a state of panic and fear which is exacerbated by social media and knee jerks!

As for your second link, it has nothing whatsoever to do with attempted abductions!
    It refers to the number of applications for the return of children to the jurisdiction of the primary or court appointed Guardian made under the Hague convention and various other international treaties Ireland is party to where a parent or family member has absconded from 1 jurisdiction to another with a child.

i.e A father from Ireland living in Spain with spanish wife and kid who returns to Ireland with his kid, without the mothers consent and vice versa.
    These are more akin to custody disputes or international family law cases than abduction and assault or ''man in a van kidnappings'' with no stranger danger involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Its not a rumour. The local schools have sent out warnings to parents following an abduction attempt. It's on the front of the Limerick post and well known to parents as it spread quickly.

A girl waiting to be collected after primary school was offered a lift by a woman she did not know in a red van. There was also a man in it.

parents please be vigilant. These f**ers are out thereicon8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

:rolleyes:Oh so if its in the Limerick Post it must be true!:rolleyes:

Believe me i hope it not. That would be a terrible thing to happen to anyone. True or not its made us second guess the kids safety and we are taking steps to ensure nobody has a chance to try anything (hopefully!:().

My reasons for doubting it are:

My buddies from Cork in work are getting the same story down there including the bit with the woman.

My kids go to the school in question and they sent out a warning to be careful not an announcement that there was an attempted abduction.

First it was a white van, then a red one, then a red golf.

Ill be at the school today and ill ask the principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

juneg wrote: »
    Its not a rumour. The local schools have sent out warnings to parents following an abduction attempt. It's on the front of the Limerick post and well known to parents as it spread quickly.

A girl waiting to be collected after primary school was offered a lift by a woman she did not know in a red van. There was also a man in it.

I'll try again .

The attempt is true according to the local schools, gardai and teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

juneg wrote: »

Someone should leave a child out alone playing somewhere. Have detectives lying in wait. It's 1 way of catching the ba*tards.

liammur wrote: »
    Someone should leave a child out alone playing somewhere. Have detectives lying in wait. It's 1 way of catching the ba*tards.

Not sure about that but they should defo start trying to set this people up. Maybe set up some fake online profiles on bebo or something and try and root these bastarts out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

kilburn wrote: »

Its a report of an abduction and they are examining the CCTV..no confirmation of anything else. People need to be careful in general, but the hysteria around these reports is ridiculous.

I have heard stories in Limerick, Clare, Galway and Cork of white vans, blue vans, red vans...Today I heard someone tell me they were trying to get children so they could sell them.
    I even read one here on the Limerick forum about the estate i live in , of which nobody in the estate has heard anything of same incident....but it was 100% true according to the poster. My neighbour rang the guards who told her they had heard nothing of the sort and most of these are urban myths.

By all means be alert and careful, but some of the nonsense around these van reports is just dumb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

vkid wrote: »
    Its a report of an abduction and they are examining the CCTV..no confirmation of anything else. People need to be careful in general, but the hysteria around these reports is ridiculous.

I have heard stories in Limerick, Clare, Galway and Cork of white vans, blue vans, red vans...Today I heard someone tell me they were trying to get children so they could sell them.
    I even read one here on the Limerick forum about the estate i live in , of which nobody in the estate has heard anything of same incident....but it was 100% true according to the poster. My neighbour rang the guards who told her they had heard nothing of the sort and most of these are urban myths.

By all means be alert and careful, but some of the nonsense around these van reports is just dumb

Why are the incidents being investigated then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Chucken wrote: »
    Why are the incidents being investigated then?

It would be completely irresponsible of the gardai not to investigate each report...true or not...but i know for a fact the one reported on here for my estate is not true. It was checked with the gardai and I also checked with several neighbours with children. We are a close community in the estate and news of that would travel like wild fire,..which is why I checked it out. We have a very active neighbourhood watch scheme in the estate and no-one has heard anything of the sort.

By all means if you have kids be careful, but there is a lot of nonsense around these stories too. I'd take the advice of the gardai at the bottom of the Limerick Leader report.

• Advertisement
Advertisement