Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short Term Insurance (2 weeks)

• 02-10-2012 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My insurance is expiring October 14th but I'm needing insurance on the car until October 28th, at which point I will be selling the car to a family member.

I rang up nononsense saying I will not be renewing my policy for the year although is it possible to have the expiration pushed out for another 2 weeks and I'll pay the required (as long as its not too expensive)
    They said they dont do that. The only option is annual renewal.

So does anyone know of any insurance companies who would offer a reasonable quote for 2 weeks?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,163 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Tiesto wrote: »
    Hi,
    My insurance is expiring October 14th but I'm needing insurance on the car until October 28th, at which point I will be selling the car to a family member.

I rang up nononsense saying I will not be renewing my policy for the year although is it possible to have the expiration pushed out for another 2 weeks and I'll pay the required (as long as its not too expensive)
    They said they dont do that. The only option is annual renewal.

So does anyone know of any insurance companies who would offer a reasonable quote for 2 weeks?

Cheers
    Just renew for the year and then cancel after the two weeks is up. You'll get a pretty big refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

yeah I thought about that although I assume it will cost me more as there are probably administrative charges for cancelling..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Why dont you register the car with the family member when the policy expires (as opposed to waiting 2 weeks) then get them to put you as a named driver on their insurance? If you can do this it would be probably be easier and cheaper than taking out your own policy and cancelling it two weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

We're insured with 123.ie(RSA) and they have a 14-day cooling off period

"Cooling-Off Period
    You have the right to withdraw from your policy, within a specified period, without penalty. For Private Motor, Household, Pet, and
    Travel Insurance, this period is 14 days from the inception date of your policy or the date you receive your policy documents, whichever
    is later. For all Life Assurance products, this period is 30 days from the inception date of your policy or the date you receive your policy
    documents, whichever is later. To withdraw from a policy within the cooling off period, you need to send us a request in writing inclusive
    of your policy number and for Private Motor Insurance, you must return (if received) your Certificate of Insurance and Insurance Disc.
    Should you exercise your right to withdraw, it will mean no policy was ever put in place and provided that you have not made a claim,
    we will refund you any premium paid in full. For Private Motor Insurance, if you have used the policy and should you exercise yourright to withdraw, provided that you have not made a claim, we will only charge you for time on cover. Please note that our set up fee
    is non refundable if you choose to withdraw from the policy within the cooling-off period"

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.123.ie%2Fcompliance%2FTOBs170212.pdf

if you cancel within 14-days you only pay for the time on cover. They keep the setup fee, which was E40 in our case.

djimi wrote: »
    Why dont you register the car with the family member when the policy expires (as opposed to waiting 2 weeks) then get them to put you as a named driver on their insurance? If you can do this it would be probably be easier and cheaper than taking out your own policy and cancelling it two weeks later.

Thats probably the simplest option!
    Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

RootX wrote: »
    We're insured with 123.ie(RSA) and they have a 14-day cooling off period

"Cooling-Off Period
    You have the right to withdraw from your policy, within a specified period, without penalty. For Private Motor, Household, Pet, and
    Travel Insurance, this period is 14 days from the inception date of your policy or the date you receive your policy documents, whichever
    is later. For all Life Assurance products, this period is 30 days from the inception date of your policy or the date you receive your policy
    documents, whichever is later. To withdraw from a policy within the cooling off period, you need to send us a request in writing inclusive
    of your policy number and for Private Motor Insurance, you must return (if received) your Certificate of Insurance and Insurance Disc.
    Should you exercise your right to withdraw, it will mean no policy was ever put in place and provided that you have not made a claim,
    we will refund you any premium paid in full. For Private Motor Insurance, if you have used the policy and should you exercise yourright to withdraw, provided that you have not made a claim, we will only charge you for time on cover. Please note that our set up fee
    is non refundable if you choose to withdraw from the policy within the cooling-off period"

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.123.ie%2Fcompliance%2FTOBs170212.pdf

if you cancel within 14-days you only pay for the time on cover. They keep the setup fee, which was E40 in our case.

thanks for that.
    I think Im gonna go with djimi's option.
    Seems like the cleanest and avoids me having to enter into anything further with nononsense.

Advertisement