Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice - DIY Solar venting slate?

Options
  • 02-10-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi All,
    I'm just in the process of completing a solar installation - tank, electrics, plumbing completed. All that is left to do is take the pipes out through the slate roof and put up the panels onto the extruded aluminium bars which are in situ also. (its an on-roof 3 panel on 35 degree tegral slate roof)

So I just need to remove 2 slates and install those venting slates. However - their bloody expensive and some are just made of plastic - I really don't like them. I'm considering doing a DIY (don't panic) job of just drilling through the existing slate with a hole saw of a diameter slightly smaller than the solar insulation at about 0 degrees to the 35 degree roof pitch and thus ending up with a slot. Next then forming a lead canopy over the slot and riveting all down onto the slate and further sealing it with TDK silicon. I think it will be just a good especially since the slate will be the origonal one and with its origonal fastenings.

Worst case scenario if it fails is to then just go ahead and put one of those venting slates in.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Irlanski wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm just in the process of completing a solar installation - tank, electrics, plumbing completed. All that is left to do is take the pipes out through the slate roof and put up the panels onto the extruded aluminium bars which are in situ also. (its an on-roof 3 panel on 35 degree tegral slate roof)

So I just need to remove 2 slates and install those venting slates. However - their bloody expensive and some are just made of plastic - I really don't like them. I'm considering doing a DIY (don't panic) job of just drilling through the existing slate with a hole saw of a diameter slightly smaller than the solar insulation at about 0 degrees to the 35 degree roof pitch and thus ending up with a slot. Next then forming a lead canopy over the slot and riveting all down onto the slate and further sealing it with TDK silicon. I think it will be just a good especially since the slate will be the origonal one and with its origonal fastenings.

Worst case scenario if it fails is to then just go ahead and put one of those venting slates in.

Any thoughts?

I had a panel installed recently and from my observation the installers cut out a piece of the original tile and put a flashing with rubber boot over it that allowed the tubing to pass through have a look at this pic.

8010250211_5583f35aeb_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Irlanski

Cool...looks good...
    The only difference is your roof is tiled and the entry made at 90 degrees. I spoke with someone today who advised maybe no need for riveting but just to make sure to take the lead flashing up to underneath the next slate up - much the same as what it appears in your pic

Thanks...

...any other takers??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o517/freddyuk1/ST830986-1.jpg
    http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o517/freddyuk1/ST830978-1.jpg

These tiles are very easy to drill. Then silicone the pipe ensuring the hole is on the top of any ridge.
    Add some insulation under the flashing.
    Fit the rubber boot and securing clamp.
    There are double entry flashings available.

Or for slate there are lead flashings with tubes welded in for pipes. I will try to remove the suppliers details off the images I had posted!

Advertisement