Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RR Sport info

• 02-10-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Anyone any inside into what RR Sports are like to run ?
    I have always been hankering after a V8 and with the Diesel V8's and even possibly the Supercharged V8's becoming a bit more reasonable I wonder if they are worth a look?

ta rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Have a look here - http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/ for known issues etc

RRS is a Discovery in a sharp suit, same platform and comes off same production line. A full fat L322 Range Rover is a more tasteful vehicle and there's some very nice ones around. Prices will drop as well now the new model is out.

The TDV8 is the best engine choice in either if you don't mind the road tax on a 3.6l engine.
    The supercharged is the 5.0l petrol, doubt if there's any here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

101sean wrote: »
    Have a look here - http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/ for known issues etc

RRS is a Discovery in a sharp suit, same platform and comes off same production line. A full fat L322 Range Rover is a more tasteful vehicle and there's some very nice ones around. Prices will drop as well now the new model is out.

The TDV8 is the best engine choice in either if you don't mind the road tax on a 3.6l engine.
    The supercharged is the 5.0l petrol, doubt if there's any here!

Wasn't the 4.2 supercharged too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

The supercharged is a 4.2 V8, plenty of them for sale and generally the cheapest one of the lot (even cheaper than the 2.7 V6 diesel) as nobody seems to want to tax/insure/fill up a car like that... Just have a look on carzone...
    Have a 2.7TDV6 myself, engine seems sufficient, it's not gonna win any races but I wouldn't call it slow. Get one with a full warranty (not just engine/gearbox). You'll find out any probs soon enough. Had park sensors fixed, coolant tank replaced (lo lvl warn failed) and 2 door locks replaced, all under warranty...
    Would have been expensive if not. Check the website quoted above for more.
    Generally very happy with the car, get the HSE if you can...
    -Edit- Mine does about 22MPG that's with 50/50 motorway/urban... If not on motorway (or bad at driving an auto box) expect to struggle to get 20MPG, both V8's will do worse (the petrol much worse)... The tank is big so a fill up is always over €100 (my record €130, yes diesel).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks lads - I drove a TDV6 and thought it noisey and slow. thats why i reckon a TDv8 or Supercharged one might fit the bill.

I may be better off scratching the Cayenne V8 itch - the one I had my eye on for ages sold from under my nose last week, just too much biding my time !

lets see how it all pans out !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I have a full fat RR 4.2L V8 supercharged which I bought just over a year ago for £24k (yes I know UK but Irish prices have dropped massively too). Was a late 2005 with all possible toys (including rear seat TVs etc) and have done about 14k miles in it. For me it was a great buy. The newer models are 5.0L and the diesels are 3.6 and 4.4 in. tDV8 format - there are also v6 diesel engines. Fullfatrr.com is a good enthusiasts forum where you'll see warts and all comments. The TDV8s are very popular, (relatively) frugal and hold their value much better.

I didn't buy an RRS as even though cheaper I couldn't get to a comfortable driving position - the dash seems a lot lower and my left knee was constantly rubbing against it. Pls there was less room for rear seat passengers.

I drive mine to Dublin once a month and have done a couple of lengthy (2.5k mile European trips).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I may be better off scratching the Cayenne V8 itch - the one I had my eye on for ages sold from under my nose last week, just too much biding my time !
    My gut tells me that'd be a far cheaper proposition!

Anan1 wrote: »
    My gut tells me that'd be a far cheaper proposition!

reliability issues ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,885 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Family member had a few RR sports v6 diesels from new. Generally fairly reliable, but both let him down (actual break down - had to be towed away)

But for the love of all that is holy, please buy a petrol!

There's never been a better time to buy a V8 petrol full size SUV. You'll save thousands over a lower spec tractor engined one, which will make the extra spending at the pump look like peanuts

And you know yourself, a Cayenne V8 might not be a looker, but what would be better to drive, it or a RR? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Aren't RR's notorious for being the least reliable second hand motor?

Bottom of manufacturer reliability index
    http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/92

unkel wrote: »

There's never been a better time to buy a V8 petrol full size SUV. You'll save thousands over a lower spec tractor engined one, which will make the extra spending at the pump look like peanuts

you see this isn't stacking up.

this seems to be the only petrol one ( 06 and above at least ) and it's not hugely cheaper than a Diesel - Also at least 4 Cayenne's I have been looking at have sold in the last 2 weeks without any major price drops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

you see this isn't stacking up.

this seems to be the only petrol one ( 06 and above at least ) and it's not hugely cheaper than a Diesel - Also at least 4 Cayenne's I have been looking at have sold in the last 2 weeks without any major price drops.

It's still less than you'd pay for one in the UK which, ceteris paribus, would mark a floor for Irish prices. Wouldn't be keen on the black leather.

Also at least 4 Cayenne's I have been looking at have sold in the last 2 weeks without any major price drops.
    Marcusm wrote: »
    It's still less than you'd pay for one in the UK which, ceteris paribus, would mark a floor for Irish prices. Wouldn't be keen on the black leather.

Is this whats happening all the Cayennes ?

Very possible that Cayenne petrols are appreciating. The Irish prices were extremely low, maybe so low that they are now either selling here or being exported (back) to the UK...

That's a trend that has been mentioned about classic cars too. Higher end ones sell in the UK, less valuable ones not in use here either rot away (that's putting it harshly) or sell for scrap / parts in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

The Cayenne is awful, it looks awful (inside and out) and the refinement and ride comfort is really poor.

If you want a Porsche by a proper Porsche.

If you want an 'SUV' then buy one that is good at being an SUV....and doesn't try to be a sports car.

The S/C Sport is pretty quick but oh so god damn thirsty it would make you cry.....the more recent 3.0 V6 diesel is the pick of the bunch really.

Just my two cents!

Mr.David wrote: »

If you want an 'SUV' then buy one that is good at being an SUV....and doesn't try to be a sports car.

Thing is that 99.9% of people who want an SUV don't want an SUV, just the looks and the size and the height of one :p

If you belong to that group of people and you want a reasonably prized second hand SUV that on top of that drives like a sports car, there is only one, the Cayenne V8 petrol, or at a push the X5 V8 petrol

The Cayenne is awful, it looks awful (inside and out) and the refinement and ride comfort is really poor.

subjective - I think they look great. Ok the interior of an X5 feels better but they feel well made. Also the S ( V8) is air sprung which makes a big difference for the ride.
    Really? and in which other Porsche can I cart wife, 2 kids dog and a buggy about in ?
    See the thing is I want it because I admire the engineering. The same reason I admire an Omega Moon watch. Its better at what I want it to be than the rest, The Cayenne is a 2 tonne sports car I can fit all the above in and marvel at how it handles when I do want to hustle along.
    the more recent 3.0 V6 diesel is the pick of the bunch really.

3.0 V6 is far too new and also not a V8 ( i dont think !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

subjective - I think they look great. Ok the interior of an X5 feels better but they feel well made. Also the S ( V8) is air sprung which makes a big difference for the ride.
    Subjective alright, but some subjective views are more valid than others. In my subjective view, a Jag E-type is better looking than a Nissan Tida, and Kate Beckinsale is better looking than Kathy Bates.
    Really? and in which other Porsche can I cart wife, 2 kids dog and a buggy about in ?
    Panamera.
    See the thing is I want it because I admire the engineering. The same reason I admire an Omega Moon watch. Its better at what I want it to be than the rest, The Cayenne is a 2 tonne sports car I can fit all the above in and marvel at how it handles when I do want to hustle along.
    I can appreciate that aspect alright, but it's not a sports car. And while they handle well for an SUV, they aren't fantastic handling cars. The X5 is grossly over-rated, nothing like a 5-series when you actually start to push it.
    Having said all that though, I do admire people like yourself having the balls to see what you want and just go and get it. Fair play, hope you find a nice one! They're a quick monster and are fairly composed for a truck! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I know what you mean, it certainly is the only SUV you can really hustle down a B-road.

My point though, is that for that quality (which you will only ever use very rarely) you pay a huge price. It's compromised, its far less refined and comfortable than a traditional SUV and whilst it is good to drive 99% of the time it will be the compromise that you will have to live with as opposed to its strength.

I just think that an SUV will never truly be comparable to a sports car, so choose one or the other (or at least a more suitable compromise).

The other thing I found (I drove the old Cayenne, the S I think which if I remember correctly is non-turbo) is that the engine is loud and makes all the right noises but it really isnt all that quick.

It is down to what you like of course, personally I wouldn't choose either :)

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Panamera.
    I think you are grossly overestimating my bank balance.

My point though, is that for that quality (which you will only ever use very rarely) you pay a huge price. It's compromised, its far less refined and comfortable than a traditional SUV
    Really - compared to what ? I found the TDV6 RR made an awful lot of noise and went nowhere, the ride wasn't that great and it didn't handle that great. ( steel sprung version ) . The XC90 I drove handled like it was a double decker and wouldn't stop when I went for the anchors, all consequences of them being an SUV. Whats better ?
    The other thing I found (I drove the old Cayenne, the S I think which if I remember correctly is non-turbo) is that the engine is loud and makes all the right noises but it really isnt all that quick.

That's true - none are proper quick, my brother drove a Turbo S, and said while you appreciate its quick for something that weights 2.5 tonnes - it's not quick like a 911.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Have you looked at the Q7 6ltr tdi ?

Savage machine, faster than most sports cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Hammertime wrote: »
    Have you looked at the Q7 6ltr tdi ?

Savage machine, faster than most sports cars
    In a straight line! But like me, that's overestimating the bank balance!

Advertisement