Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win 7 or win 8 for laptop or Gaming machine

Options
  • 02-10-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Thankfully via dreamspark i can get win 7 and win 8. I have a middle aged vaio 2gb laptop which i use mostly for coursework and a alien ware machine which i use for gaming. Should i put win 7 or 8 on the alienware(it has xp already) machine. I play mostly old win xp games so i have to research if it could play them. If win 7 is better suited to my alienware would my 2gb vaio be able for win 8, i presume it isn't memory hungry.

Also when i download win 7 or 8 ; can i create a installation/repair cd/dvd in case i have to reinstall/repair for future use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

And why would you want to put on Windows 7 or 8 on your XP Alienware?

Unless the GPU supports DX 10 or 11, neither OS can do anything to improve your gaming experience. On the contrary, since both operating systems are significantly more demanding than XP, they will only bog down your machine unnecessarily.

And which software do you intend to use on your "middle aged" Vaio that does not run on XP?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Darith

The vaio is currently running on vista so would win7 be a better OS? Also will xp stop been supported in 2014?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Darith wrote: »
    Also will xp stop been supported in 2014?
    April 8, 2014 but it's been extended lots of times before

and besides life expectancy of a hard drive / pc is about five years

it will still work after 2014 , might need third party firewall / security apps to keep it safe after that, but if you are gaming then you can remove any programs but games, and lock down firewall and IP routes to a white list of safe sites

Would there be a issue getting drivers for win7/8 for these machines?

Darith wrote: »
    Would there be a issue getting drivers for win7/8 for these machines?

No, most older hardware is still supported. Mainstream Hardware which works with XP/Vista should also work with Windows 7/8 (provided it meets the system requirements).

What's the motherboard and graphics card in your Alienware PC?

• Advertisement

The alienware is a Asus A8n SLI deluxe with a nvidia 7800GTX graphics card

Unless you upgrade the graphics card, there is no gaming benefit in installing Windows Vista or Windows 7 on that computer. The 7800 GTX only supports DirectX9. Having said that, Nvidia is still supporting older cards and you'll get drivers that work even with Windows 8.

The motherboard is a different matter though, ASUS only offers drivers for Windows Vista 32/64-bit, but chances are that they will work with Windows 7 as well.

And last but not least, Windows Vista and 7 require a lot more RAM than XP, so you may need to upgrade your system memory too.

You see, there might be a a lot more costs involved than just an upgrade license for Windows. And you're still stuck with an old dual-core AMD Athlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not worth it to upgrade. The fastest available CPU for that socket (Athlon 64 FX-60) is still lackluster and good luck finding it aftermarket, cheaply. That Alienware is nearing the end of it's gaming lifespan if it hasn't already; it's about time to retire it as an email machine. the machine has got to be pushing 7 years though, thats expected.

Advertisement