Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job Monday - fares Tallaght to The Point

Options
  • 02-10-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I am starting a New job Monday. I have driven to work for the last 7 years but now I will be forced to use public transport to which I don't really mind.

I am wondering what is the best method to save money I have the option of using the luas or the bus but am going all the way to the O2 from the Tallaght area.

What is the best card to buy or ticket to get from a monthly or yearly point of view.

I have also been informed that the job offers a tax saver card and am wondering what this saves and is that the best route.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

Congrats on the new job!

The Luas is the most direct option from Tallaght to the o2. You should consider getting a tax saver ticket. This offers great savings over the regular fare.

Details of Luas tax saver tickets here: http://taxsavertickets.luas.ie/

Dublin Bus and bus/luas tickets can be found here: http://www.taxsavers.ie/Ticket-Types/

The annual tax saver ticket offers more savings than the monthly, so worth considering to save some cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

www.taxsaver.ie has all the details on the tickets available to you.

How near to your home is the Luas? If it were me I'd probably get the Luas as it would be door to door.

You can check your journey options on this

http://journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2

The Luas and Dublin Bus Annual Ticket might be worth getting if you ever use the Nitelink or want to use the 75 to go southside but if you're just going to be using public transport for work purposes then get the annual Luas ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frank Boggins

I live a 5 min walk from the luas so im sorted from that end im just wondering how much can I save and whats the best route.

Thanks ya'll :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Noel Dempseys Den

I live a 5 min walk from the luas so im sorted from that end im just wondering how much can I save and whats the best route.

One tram, no change from Tallaght to the O2, no messing about. That's the best route side sorted.

You could get a 65 or 77 into town and then the 151 but IMHO the journey would break your heart at peak times.

What you can also do is look at the Transport for Ireland journey planner. Unlike the rubbish Dublin Bus one, this one seems to work pretty well, though when I attempted to search a bus only journey from Tallaght to the Point, it insisted on putting me on the 747 bus from town which AFAIK doesn't take travel 90 type tickets and has a €6 fare.

Link here: http://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

• Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is it a 9-5 job or shift work? The Luas can be dodgy and it gets worst when the rush hours are over.

Have you considered cycling? It's relativity flat and we don't get as much rain as people think.

As for the cheapest option. You'll need to calculate how much each option would cost paying as you go and then figure out much of a saving you get with weekly/monthly/annual/taxsaver tickets and also if you need multiple modes of transport or if one will do.

Don't forget to take your own personal time into account also, it may be cheaper to get the bus which takes 3 hours* v's a more expensive Luas taking 50min*.

* figures plucked from the sky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement