Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye Bye Now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Just watching it now, great piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Nice one! I'll be adding that to my latest nonsense here:http://insatiablecollector.wordpress.com/ Sad to see their demise - not the shower cabinets - the concrete and timber ones. If ever a multipurpose unit was designed that was it. Communications/Shelter/Toilet and for some a cash cow - the old B slot stuffed with toilet paper to prevent refunds coming out except to those in the know. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Here's my one - long gone. Waiting for the call.............

8046864906_cabb6d3d1b_z.jpg
    Phonebox by Pedro Eibar, on Flickr

That would make a great John Hinde postcard but for the fact that postcards are following phoneboxes into extinction. :(

Post here with reference to books available on the subject: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64986927&postcount=29 and if you want to go the full hog and buy a full size one for yourself: http://www.unicornkiosks.com/ - they even have Irish ones from time to time.

That would make a great John Hinde postcard but for the fact that postcards are following phoneboxes into extinction. :(

.......if you want to go the full hog and buy a full size one for yourself............- they even have Irish ones from time to time.

Postcards probably deserve a thread of their own as they are a great source for history/heritage (buildings/views/people/costumes). They killed off the holiday letter and in turn were killed by the email and finally nailed by the SMS text.

In 1902, the postcard evolved into its current format as the address and message were finally allowed by the PO to be printed on the same side of the card thus leaving the maximum area on one side for illustrations.

As for a phone or post box, I'm decluttering and if herself saw one of those arriving, I probably would have to sleep in it!

• Advertisement

Anybody remember the old AA phonebox in Shankill? It was located more or less in front of the RC church where the Loughlinstown and Killiney roads diverge. I seem to remember that it was on a tiny island of its own and I can't imagine that it would have survived modern levels of traffic. It was there in the 1960s and then it was gone. I never recall seeing a similar box in Ireland but there were hundreds of them on the UK mainland - now down to about a dozen - and the RAC had their own boxes too. AA/RAC members were issued with keys for the boxes which gave access to the telephone within, from where you called in to AA/RAC control and quoted the box number and a rescue crew were dispatched forthwith. As with everything else in the UK the AA/RAC boxes have listed building status and, in some cases, voluntary bodies set-up to preserve them.

AA%2Bbox.PNG
    An AA box still operational (I think) in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Anybody remember the old AA phonebox in Shankill? It was located more or less in front of the RC church where the Loughlinstown and Killiney roads diverge. I seem to remember that it was on a tiny island of its own and I can't imagine that it would have survived modern levels of traffic. It was there in the 1960s and then it was gone. I never recall seeing a similar box in Ireland but there were hundreds of them on the UK mainland - now down to about a dozen - and the RAC had their own boxes too. AA/RAC members were issued with keys for the boxes which gave access to the telephone within, from where you called in to AA/RAC control and quoted the box number and a rescue crew were dispatched forthwith. As with everything else in the UK the AA/RAC boxes have listed building status and, in some cases, voluntary bodies set-up to preserve them.

AA%2Bbox.PNG
    An AA box still operational (I think) in England.

What were the chances of breaking down and finding one within walking distance I wonder?

What were the chances of breaking down and finding one within walking distance I wonder?

Very remote. I have a vague recollection of the one in Shankhill, but I clearly remember the AA key that members got and also remember the way in which the motorbike patrolmen in their brown uniforms used to salute cars that had the AA badge on the grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Very remote. I have a vague recollection of the one in Shankhill, but I clearly remember the AA key that members got and also remember the way in which the motorbike patrolmen in their brown uniforms used to salute cars that had the AA badge on the grill.

Oh I remember the boxes and the keys too. I think they sent a new key every year so you'd end up with a few.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CLASSIC-AA-CAR-BADGE-FROM-THE-1960S-ALSO-INCLUDED-AN-AA-KEY-/261104452362?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item3ccb09c30a

And the waving. I think they were supposed to warn you of speed traps too werent they?

Advertisement