Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone tried a spider capo?

Options
  • 02-10-2012 8:39am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a fair bit of folk stuff these days so I find I'm hopping from one acoustic guitar to another rather than keep re-tuning between songs. Mainly from DADGAD to Normal tuning, sometimes using Dropped D as well.

I was wondering if one of these spider capos might help help me stick to one guitar, but I'm not sure if they're any use or just gimicky.
    Anyone tried one out?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

that won't let you play DADGAD chords on a regular tuned guitar.

the only thing that WILL is a Variax electric with all the trick electronics

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Well I was thinking of tuning it to dadgad first or maybe even dadgad dropped a semitone (c#g#c#f#g#c# ?) and then using the spider to bring me back up to normal tuning when required. Seems like it might work, but I'm not sure.

PS Dont think variax do lefty guitars :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

the Spider will allow a lot of fun, but if you tune it DADGAD and spider it at the 3rd fret to give standard tuning, you can't use standard tuning chords. if you make a f shape Barre at the 7th fret above the spider it'll be like there was no capo there.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I've found it really good anytime I'm stuck for coming up with ideas. I'll drop a string or two, capo one or two and try work with it till I get something nice. It's a great way to keep fresh and not repeat yourself if writing. Thats mostly what I use it for, Some of my best stuff came from using a spider.

Advertisement