Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exceptional needs payments during pregnancy?

Options
  • 02-10-2012 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi I'm a lone parent to be and am struggling on 188 a wk. My sister received exceptional needs payments for a buggy, cot, maternity clothes and a bag and stuff for going into hospital with. That was a few years ago in Dublin, and I'm in Louth. I don't know if it's the same here/now. My local welfare officer is quite intimidating and I don't want to ask her for anything unless I'm sure of it. Anyone know what I might be entitled to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

150euro for hospital stuff, maternity clothes etc, once baby is here go back to cwo and they can give you another allowance of 150euro for cot,pram and baby clothes

My cwo did this for me in 2010 as long as you don't take the Piss with them they can be approachable

Best if luck with your pregnancy hope baby arrives quickly and safely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know of a person who got this in Waterford in the last year.
    The person got money for clothes around 6 months and money for hospital bag around 8 month. Then when baby was born, another grant for more stuff.

The person was claiming JSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kitty113

edellc wrote: »
    150euro for hospital stuff, maternity clothes etc, once baby is here go back to cwo and they can give you another allowance of 150euro for cot,pram and baby clothes

My cwo did this for me in 2010 as long as you don't take the Piss with them they can be approachable

Best if luck with your pregnancy hope baby arrives quickly and safely

Thank you :) I'm 5 & half months now, do you think I should ask about money for maternity clothes now? I'm starting to get quite big now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rebecca82

Hi! I applied for maternity clothes grant on Thursday lst week n I received a cheque of €150 this morning. I was told to go back start of feb to apply for hospital bag I'm not due til middle march. I got a letter from the social worker in the hospital.

rebecca82 wrote: »
    Hi! I applied for maternity clothes grant on Thursday lst week n I received a cheque of €150 this morning. I was told to go back start of feb to apply for hospital bag I'm not due til middle march. I got a letter from the social worker in the hospital.

That's brilliant! Did you just go and ask your welfare officer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Yes but you need a letter from your doctor or hospital stating you due date

edellc wrote: »
    Yes but you need a letter from your doctor or hospital stating you due date

I got a letter from the social worker in the hospital n went into my Cwo n had t fill out a supplement form.

Well I went down to the welfare officer this morning. She gave me a supplement form to fill out after telling me that they don't really do money for clothes, but I can try anyway, and told me to go and get a quote for clothes. Went down to mothercare where the snotty woman said no we don't do that for clothes, made a holy show of me infront of other customers, and called the welfare officer up to see if I was telling her the truth. What absolute cheek! I was mortified for asking for a bit of help!! Its not like im looking for a whole new wardrobe, i need maternity bras, 2 pairs of trousers and 2 tops, and thats all im asking for. Did anyone else have to get a quote for maternity clothes? Didnt mind gettin the quote but not happy with the service in mothercare at all!!:mad:

Kitty113 wrote: »
    Well I went down to the welfare officer this morning. She gave me a supplement form to fill out after telling me that they don't really do money for clothes, but I can try anyway, and told me to go and get a quote for clothes. Went down to mothercare where the snotty woman said no we don't do that for clothes, made a holy show of me infront of other customers, and called the welfare officer up to see if I was telling her the truth. What absolute cheek! I was mortified for asking for a bit of help!! Its not like im looking for a whole new wardrobe, i need maternity bras, 2 pairs of trousers and 2 tops, and thats all im asking for. Did anyone else have to get a quote for maternity clothes? Didnt mind gettin the quote but not happy with the service in mothercare at all!!:mad:

That was wierd cos in my Cwo I was asked to fill out that form 2 and I also handed in the letter from the social worker in hospital nothing of the sort telling me that clothes grant wasn't available, she just said give it a wk n u will have a cheque. Sounds like u had an awful time

That was wierd cos in my Cwo I was asked to fill out that form 2 and I also handed in the letter from the social worker in hospital nothing of the sort telling me that clothes grant wasn't available, she just said give it a wk n u will have a cheque. Sounds like u had an awful time

Did she call it a clothes grant herself? I brought up a letter and all from the hospital stating my due date. It was horrible! They made it so degrading asking for a bit of help. I wouldn't ask if I wasn't so desperate!

• Advertisement

Kitty113 wrote: »

Did she call it a clothes grant herself? I brought up a letter and all from the hospital stating my due date. It was horrible! They made it so degrading asking for a bit of help. I wouldn't ask if I wasn't so desperate!

I just said I wanted to apply for maternity clothes grant, I gave in the form, letter and my I.d, she didn't call it any name just said to wait a wk b4 I should hear from it but I got it on Monday I got €150. Some Cwo can be awful to deal with but mine was lovely first time to see her cos of moving areas

Well I finally received 100 off my swo, which apparently she didn't have to give to me if she didn't want to, and told me to come back in jan for 35 euro for a hospital bag. I asked her why them rates are different in different areas and she told me its up to the local welfare officer and what they see fit to give out!

Advertisement