Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dryer-related questions...

Options
  • 02-10-2012 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

By way of background, from 1 February 2013, tenants in private rented accommodation are entitled to "a dryer (vented or recirculation type)" where that house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of that house (i.e. where you could just use a clothesline) .

I'm currently a tenant in rented accommodation; it's an apartment with no dryer. I'm going to approach my landlord this week with a view to getting this issue dealt with in a constructive way and just had a few questions that I hope some of you can help with.

1. Power - Can a dryer be run of mains electricity in the same way as any other appliance, i.e. can you just plug it in anywhere or does it need special treatment like a an oven cooker?

2. Health - The apartment has a combined kitchen / living room area. Is it "safe" to have a dryer in here, e.g. dampness? (Noise not an issue as we can run it during the day when everyone is out.)

3. Vent - I understand there are "compressed" and "vent" dryers. Assuming we come up with some way to make a vent (no obvious external walls) which one is preferable? Quality of drying being the most important consideration.

4. Other - Are there any other questions I should be asking?

Thanks for your time,
    Farcear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Farcear wrote: »
    Hey all,

By way of background, from 1 February 2013, tenants in private rented accommodation are entitled to "a dryer (vented or recirculation type)" where that house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of that house (i.e. where you could just use a clothesline) .

I'm currently a tenant in rented accommodation; it's an apartment with no dryer. I'm going to approach my landlord this week with a view to getting this issue dealt with in a constructive way and just had a few questions that I hope some of you can help with.

1. Power - Can a dryer be run of mains electricity in the same way as any other appliance, i.e. can you just plug it in anywhere or does it need special treatment like a an oven cooker?

2. Health - The apartment has a combined kitchen / living room area. Is it "safe" to have a dryer in here, e.g. dampness? (Noise not an issue as we can run it during the day when everyone is out.)

3. Vent - I understand there are "compressed" and "vent" dryers. Assuming we come up with some way to make a vent (no obvious external walls) which one is preferable? Quality of drying being the most important consideration.

4. Other - Are there any other questions I should be asking?

Thanks for your time,
    Farcear

This is a strange one.
    1. Unless its a gas powered dryer its run of mains with a plug. Usually 13 amp but hay i am open to correction
    2. If a dryer requires venting it must be vented, if its a condenser it must be emptyed unless plumbed although emptying is the normal choice. You can techanically put a dryer anywhere these days because it should not expel moisture into the room.. Again i am open to correction
    3. Answered in no 2. If you dont want a hole in the wall you go with a condensing dryer. i am told vented dryers dry quicker but hay i cant keep up with my demons anyway so i shop in pennys.
    4. Yes. personally i would just point out that if i dont get a dryer i will have to use the rads to dry clothes in the winter. This will fill the room with moisture. If my child gets sick i will be giving the landlord the bill.

To be honest... If you ask for a dryer you might get a combined washer dryer. These are ****e but the landlord will be doing whats required of him.

When we were students we stretched a clothes line from wall to wall in an unused room and dryed the clothes there by leaving the window open. It saved us on electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

A vented dryer is cheaper (to purchase) and you have to drill a hole in the wall to exhaust the steam.

A condenser dryer turns condenses the steam out of the air in the dryer and you empty a large drawer at the top or bottom of the machine at the end of the cycle and pour it down the drain.

One big advantage of a condenser in Ireland is that the waste heat from the dryer will heat your apartment. Where as with a vented dryer it just blows outside.

Also, if it's an apartment it means there's no drilling / construction work required - just plug it in.

All normal dryers in Ireland just plug into a normal socket with a standard 13amp plug.

There's also a third type that uses a heatpump. These are very cheap to run, but VERY expensive relative to other dryers to buy (€800+)
    They are great if you need to use the dryer a lot though. Saves a lot on the electricity bill!

Advertisement