Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro upgradability

Options
  • 01-10-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing my first MBP (first Mac at all actually), and I'm just wondering about how ugradeable they are.

From reading around, I understand that the retina versions cannot be upgraded in any sense (RAM, HDD). But, the model I'm looking at is this one, do you know if it's possible to upgrade the RAM and HDD myself on this?

Crucial will sell me 16GB of RAM for this machine for less than €100, and I wouldn't mind upgrading the HDD but not until a later date (maybe an SSD when they're cheaper!). Will I be able to complete these upgrades myself?

Thanks,
    John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

John2002 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing my first MBP (first Mac at all actually), and I'm just wondering about how ugradeable they are.

From reading around, I understand that the retina versions cannot be upgraded in any sense (RAM, HDD). But, the model I'm looking at is this one, do you know if it's possible to upgrade the RAM and HDD myself on this?

Crucial will sell me 16GB of RAM for this machine for less than €100, and I wouldn't mind upgrading the HDD but not until a later date (maybe an SSD when they're cheaper!). Will I be able to complete these upgrades myself?

Thanks,
    John.
    Yup, it's just the air and the macbook pro retina that can't have the ram or hdd upgraded. Should be good to go with that laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Cheers yer man!,

Do you know if I will be able to do those upgrades myself or will it require me bringing the MBP to an Apple authorised service provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Cheers yer man!,

Do you know if I will be able to do those upgrades myself or will it require me bringing the MBP to an Apple authorised service provider?

Nah you can do those yourself no bother, the instructions tell you how to do both, it's the only two things you can touch inside the mac without it affecting the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

yer man! wrote: »
    Cheers yer man!,

Nah you can do those yourself no bother, the instructions tell you how to do both, it's the only two things you can touch inside the mac without it affecting the warranty.

Cheers buddy. I ordered it last night so I'm impatiently awaiting delivery now!

Advertisement