Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike Insurance for starters

Options
  • 01-10-2012 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi I'm trying to look for a great Insurance priced bikes (has to be under 125 cc) and the best place to get Insurance for learners, but I can't find much online, most is in the UK. So I'm hoping some one would help me I be very gracious. P.S. I'm 18 and living in meath and currently learning my theory.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Do you know about IBT OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trevdaman

Yeah Initial basic training, Im currently saving up for both a bike,lessons and Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

So essentially you are looking for a scooter rather then an actual bike....why do you want less then a 125cc, thats just the start of the fun TBH. At 18 yrs of age you will be bored silly a month after getting a 50cc scooter etc.

My advice is do the theory and get a 125cc or 250cc and learn to ride a bike properly.

No I want to get a bike but my dad keeps pushing me for a scooter but I keep telling no as Im 18 now(it would of done when I was 16 but not now) whats the max cc for a learner driver again?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

Do your theory test category A1, and you'll be able to drive anything up to 250cc as a learner. Insurance completely depends on the bike, where you live, your age etc, so you'll have to ring around to get a quote. Liberty insurance seems to be the cheapest for younger people at the moment.

• Advertisement

You can get a restricted 600cc motorbike if you so wish on a 1st time permit. Sure thats what I was on last year, I currently ride a restricted 600cc motorbike for the 1st time.

When you do IBT you will be riding a 125cc motorbike and possibly a 500cc motorbike depending on your skill. TBH, I am not sure if you need to do the IBT for a scooter. Ring Michael Finlay Motorbike school for a chat he will put you straight and advise the best course of action 085 7117700

When it comes to the actual bike test, whatever bike you do the test on will determine what licence you get if you do the test on a 125cc you will get an A1 licence restricting you to smaller cc bikes. If you do the test on a 400cc/600cc say you will have an A licence.

Are you sure? as I'm reading my theory book now and it says the maximum engine capacity I can drive is 125 c.c. on a A1 licence. Thanks I've tried Liberty.

I thought you had to get an A1 licence first and then you can move on. What would the Insurance be for a 400c motorbike.

As was stated by pipz.....maximum on an A1 is 250cc ( I think), but if you go the A route you can have the best of both worlds. Even if you dont want to drive a bigger bike at least its your choice and you not limited for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

trevdaman wrote: »
    Are you sure? as I'm reading my theory book now and it says the maximum engine capacity I can drive is 125 c.c. on a A1 licence. Thanks I've tried Liberty.

Why are you on an A1 Learner Permit at 18? You could get an A learners permit! Which will allow you to ride anything up to 25 kw. CC doesn't matter when it comes to an A licence, just Power to weight Ratio.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    As was stated by pipz.....maximum on an A1 is 250cc ( I think), but if you go the A route you can have the best of both worlds. Even if you dont want to drive a bigger bike at least its your choice and you not limited for the future.

Maximum on A1 is 125.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_motorcycles_in_ireland.html

Grand Dazzler was not sure hence the "I think" but A licence is the way to go even if he is deffo gonna get a 125cc. Why limited yourself when its the same test.

Well I'm learning my theory at the moment, is it any harder going for a A license. I'm saving up so I can afford both a bike,the lessons and Insurance. Is it a big difference in Insurance prices a year.

trevdaman wrote: »
    Well I'm learning my theory at the moment, is it any harder going for a A license. I'm saving up so I can afford both a bike,the lessons and Insurance. Is it a big difference in Insurance prices a year.

No! It's the exact same test! Definitely go for the A, because otherwise when you do eventually go for it you have a new learner permit and your insurance price probably won't drop at all. (Don't quote me on that though) But A is definitely the way to go.

No! It's the exact same test! Definitely go for the A, because otherwise when you do eventually go for it you have a new learner permit and your insurance price probably won't drop at all. (Don't quote me on that though) But A is definitely the way to go.

Thanks! I'm On liberty insurance right now getting quotes, do you know any good insurance friendly bikes?

I only got insured recently myself, got €800 fully comp with liberty on a 125 Varadero, I'm 23 living in Cork and had 20% off. It's a great little bike and a flyer compared to a few other 125's, but I'm getting bored already with the acceleration and top speed. So honestly, I dunno, if you can go for a 250 or higher do it. Budget may restrict you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bhmm

Ye im a complete noob. If I get a apprila 125 and im 17 and live in the country side how much would insurance be roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

bhmm wrote: »
    Ye im a complete noob. If I get a apprila 125 and im 17 and live in the country side how much would insurance be roughly

http://www.libertyinsurance.ie/

Advertisement