Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth cert for Ex needed

Options
  • 01-10-2012 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am in a bit of a pickle , I am to be married in the new year and have all my paperwork (decree absolute etc) , but the registrar has just written to me requesting proof of where my ex was born .Ideally a birth cert . God it was 25 years ago and I have no idea other than they were uk citizen and assume they were born in uk . I have date of birth ,and name (wish I could forget) and am not in contact with anyone from that period . Any one know how to proceed .
    Thanks .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It's difficult to say without knowing your specific circumstances (and I am not asking you to share them here!)

Citizens advice states:
    Since 5 November 2007, a couple getting married are required to to give notification in person of their intention to marry to a Registrar at least 3 months before the intended date of the marriage. The notification can be given to any Registrar.

When you make the appointment with the Registrar you will be informed what information and documents you need to bring with you. Generally, you and your intended spouse will be required to bring the following:
    • Passports as identification.
    • Birth Certificates (must bear an apostille stamp if not issued by the Civil Registration Service in Ireland)
    • Original final divorce decrees in respect of all previous divorces if either of you is divorced. Further information will be required if it was a foreign divorce and you will require an approved English translation of the divorce decree
    • Original dissolutions in respect of all previous civil partnerships if either of you has a civil partnership dissolution
    • Final decree of nullity and a letter from the relevant court confirming that no appeal was lodged, if either of you was in a civil partnership or marriage that was annulled by an Irish Court
    • Deceased spouse's death certificate and previous civil marriage certificate if either of you is widowed
    • PPS Numbers
    You will also have to provide information about the intended marriage such as:

Whether it will be a civil or religious ceremony
    The intended date and location of the marriage
    Details of the proposed solemniser of the marriage
    The names and dates of birth of the two proposed witnesses
    You will also have to pay a notification fee of €150.

When you attend the Registrar you will have to make a declaration of no impediment.

The Registrar will issue an acknowlegement to both of you and the proposed solemniser of the marriage confirming the date of receipt of notification. This does not give you permission to marry.

If all the information required has been supplied and there is no impediment to the marriage, the Registrar will issue you with a Marriage Registration Form.

Would it be worth contacting the registrar and asking if it's a legal necessity to have proof of where your ex was born and explaining the situation to them?

All the best.

Advertisement