Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

peugeot 407 ERG valve/turbo problems

Options
  • 01-10-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi all,

was wondering if anybody knows anything about the ERG valve in 407s?

basically my turbo (2lt diesel, 05) cuts out at about 2800 reves when you drive the car hard, i had it at a dealership today and they ran the diagnostic computer on it but they couldn't give me a definite answer as to why it cuts, they said it ''might be'' the ERG valve but couldn't say for sure, the quoted cost of replacement of the said valve would run to about 400 plus vat which i dont fancy paying on the promise of a ''might be'' solution.

they also said it might be a safety thing, as in the turbo is being cut by the car's ECU.

this has been going on since i bought the car a year ago, it doesn't really bother me as i dont drive the car hard that often but it's still there nagging away,

any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ronanosull7

i should also add that if i turn the car off and back on the turbo is restored!! but is more likely to cut again immdeatly if i drive it any bit hard!! i.e if i put the foot down it will prob cut before i reach the said 2800 reves.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Drop a private message to a user here called Row. He knows these cars inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Before i'd go fitting an egr valve i would disconnect the plug on the egr valve when the engine is switched off,then drive it around for a day or so to see if things change.

It may bring up a depolution fault but that should clear when you plug it back in...it may take a few starts/stops of the engine to clear the fault,otherwise get someone with a scan tool to clear it.

The egr valve is in between the engine and the bulkhead..Disconnect
    at fig 19 in diagram..Its a 5 pin plug.

if you don't feel confident enough then a local indep garage will do it for you.

40720hdiegrvalve-1.png

cheers Row, will try and detach the valve myself this evening, dont have too much experience with cars other then usual stuff but will give it a go also i do have an bluetooth OBD connector and have an app on my phone to connect with the car's ECU so should be able to clear the fault myself, will get back to you on thursday evening to say how i got on with the ERG valve.

thanks again Row and also thanks to you bazz.

Hey folks,
    so i detached the valve on Tuesday as you said Row, pretty straight forward (think your diagram above is inverted though, right to left) and drove around for the rest of the day and half of today, now, i drove it hard taking the revs up to 3500 and no trouble at all, the turbo kept working away no problem, couldn't get over it!! So i reattached the valve today and drove it hard again, was working away fine for about ten min and then the turbo cut out as it had in the past!! turned the car off and turbo was restored!! would it be safe to assume that it is the valve?? i have seen YouTube videos of those valves being cleaned (not a 407 one unfortunately), would this be something to consider or should i replace or is there somethings else to do??

again all advice is greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement

That points towards the egr valve alright...:)
    When the engine is cold the egr valve is default closed..when the engine heats up it opens a certain % at idle and low revs.when you floor it the egr valve should close fully which i guessing yours is'nt and the exhaust flow is smothering the engine,this will also prevent the turbo from spooling up.

I'm thinking you have two choices.

(1) You could purchase one of these..
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PEUGEOT-407-2-0-HDI-EGR-VALVE-GENUINE-1618GZ-DW10BTED4-/370633697724?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item564b7d69bc
    and fit it yourself (Note,it will need to be learned in with diagnostic tool)

(2) fit one of these
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EGR-VALVE-BLANKING-BLOCK-OFF-PLATE-PEUGEOT-2-0-HDI-307-308-407-3008-5008-607-/140831256367?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20ca326f2f

Depends on your budget..:)

being honest, i'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible so option 2 sounds great but i plan to keep the car for the 5 years or so, so i would rather have it done right even if it does cost a bit more!! What it really comes down to is will the cheaper fix affect the car much or will it make no difference atall??

As i had said before a main dealer garage had quoted me 400 plus vat (i'm based in cork) for a new one fitted, if i could get it done somewhere cheaper that would be great, thats if you could reccomend somewhere Row?? travelling is not a problem! i like road trips!!

being honest, i'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible so option 2 sounds great but i plan to keep the car for the 5 years or so, so i would rather have it done right even if it does cost a bit more!! What it really comes down to is will the cheaper fix affect the car much or will it make no difference atall??

As i had said before a main dealer garage had quoted me 400 plus vat (i'm based in cork) for a new one fitted, if i could get it done somewhere cheaper that would be great, thats if you could reccomend somewhere Row?? travelling is not a problem! i like road trips!!

I know many 407owners (2.0hdi's) who have blanked off there egr valves and tbh it worked out fine for them...a blanked egr valve may log an excessive airflow fault in the engine ecu but it should'nt bring on the mil light..:)

You could try option 1 first and if it doesnt work out then go for option 2.
    I don't know any mechanics down in Cork but any good independent mechanic will be able to fit a new egr valve for you...If he has good level diagnostic equipment then he will be able to relearn in the egr valve.

You could also call into your local dealer (after new egr has been fitted) and ask them how much it will cost to re-learn in the egr valve and download there lastest software...i would think an hours labour should do it..:)

Row thats great news about the other 407 drivers who've done this before, i shall blank off the valve (will attemp this myself) and will get back to you with a status report in a few weeks just to let you know how i got on!!

Thanks Row, it's great to have this problem solved, had been to two different main dealers and they both couldn't tell me what was wrong, even with the diagnostics tool ran on the engine, you've got more brains then the two main dealer garages put together!! As i said, ill get back in a few weeks to let you know how i got on, thanks again Row!

Row thats great news about the other 407 drivers who've done this before, i shall blank off the valve (will attemp this myself) and will get back to you with a status report in a few weeks just to let you know how i got on!!

Thanks Row, it's great to have this problem solved, had been to two different main dealers and they both couldn't tell me what was wrong, even with the diagnostics tool ran on the engine, you've got more brains then the two main dealer garages put together!! As i said, ill get back in a few weeks to let you know how i got on, thanks again Row!

Thanks for your nice comments ronanosull7..;)

Life is a learning curve..we all learn something new everyday and if it saves some of our hard earned money then its a bonus.

I have peugeot diagnostic interface/software and it will sometimes only give you an idea where the fault is...sometimes it can put one astray..:eek:.:)

Best of luck with it and keep let us know how it goes for you..;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement