Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smiths to reform 2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hmmmm.... as far as I can tell there's been "The Smiths Are Reforming" rumours going around since before the Smiths even formed as a band.

Believe when I see it kinda thing at this stage isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Hmmmm.... as far as I can tell there's been "The Smiths Are Reforming" rumours going around since before the Smiths even formed as a band.

Believe when I see it kinda thing at this stage isn't it?

One of my contacts says 90% certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Ok. That kinda means nothing though if we don't know who your contact is.

I see the website saying they have four sources saying it's happening. Are one of those sources your contact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I don't know much about this website or it's credibility but I'd certainly wait for a more reliable source for something like this.

To be honest I don't want to see this happen, The Smiths are one of those bands who should never reform. But The Stone Roses already did it so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ok. That kinda means nothing though if we don't know who your contact is.

I see the website saying they have four sources saying it's happening. Are one of those sources your contact?

Only joking about contacts, ole Techno's just a regular working stiff! But I'd love to see them live even once, never did back in the 80's. Doubt if Joyce would be asked, I don't mind as his drumming was just basic tub thumping imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Saw them a couple of times in Dublin in the 80s (SFX and National Stadium) and am content with the memories and the vinyl collection of all their stuff. A truly great band who were what they were. I'll be happy to pass on any reunion gigs.

Having said that if a 2013 gig prompts a kid to get into any of their great music I guess that, ultimately, I've no call for complaint.

Cocteau Twins mentioned in article - similar feelings here.....(saw in SFX and managed to get Liz F's and Robin G's sigs round the back after the gig).

.........I'm old

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There must be about 10 of these rumours if not more per year. I don't for a fact believe it will ever happen going by very recent comments by Morrissey alluding to the fact he still thinks less than highly of 2 of his past bandmates.

I believe these latest rumours came around when Moz mentioned very recently in an interview that Cochella had offered them silly money, (not for the first time) and the promise of an all veggie gig to reform the band. He also mentioned that it was only himself and Marr and "that goes to show you what they too think of the other two" or words to that effect.

Personally I would not be averse to him hooking up with Marr again and creating something between them totally new that could be interesting. Two very creative people but I'm not mad on the old trip down memory lane thing with a big payday for the Smiths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I managed to see the Cure and New Order this Summer so a Smiths come back would be amazing next Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

Wonder how "How soon is now" will sound Falsetto?

Morrissey once said "I would rather eat my own testicles than re-form The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian." I am not sure if even his greatest fans would pay to see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

http://www.prefixmag.com/mobile/post/70029/ Rumour well and truly quashed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

As much as Morrissey has turned into a bit of a cash/media whore (yet I still luvs him), I can't ever see The Smiths reforming due to the ill-feeling between him and Joyce/Rourke. He seems like a man who would hold a grudge forever :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What do your glasses say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭bullpost

Depends how badly he needs the money.

I'd imagine there would be no resistance from Joyce/Rourke and realistically if there was , a substitute rhythm section would still bring the punters in once its Morrissey/Marr out front.
    Seren_ wrote: »
    As much as Morrissey has turned into a bit of a cash/media whore (yet I still luvs him), I can't ever see The Smiths reforming due to the ill-feeling between him and Joyce/Rourke. He seems like a man who would hold a grudge forever :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I think if The Smiths ever do reunite it will be when we least expect it to happen, least thats the way it is with most reunions.

Still with Pink Floyd, Stone Roses and the original Beach Boys reforming I don't see why it would be within the realms of impossibility.

Even the Eagles said it would have to be when hell froze over, but then when it did happen there was an album of the same name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Am slightly of the opinion that while they did help create the music at the time its not vital for morrisey to reunite with them..hes not cash strapped... in a big crowd where you have played too dollar does it really matter who bangs the drums once morrisey is singing?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

While on the subject of The Smiths

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/1001/thesmiths.html

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭flogging a dead horse

Would love to see them reform.
    Would be really nice to see old friends just playing some old songs.
    Maybe a number of charities could benefit, maybe they'll get an outrageous sum of money for 3, 4 or 5 middle-aged men and give it all away, to Oxfam, Amnesty, Green Peace, some animal shelters??
    Recently Morrissey talked of retirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Battleborn

Denied by Johnny Marrs manager unfortunately.... http://www.nme.com/news/the-smiths/66416

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It seems like these rumours are always just kind of hopeful rather than based on any real facts.

I am not old enough to have seen them live, but I still think they should never reunite. They were a great, great band and I think it's best left the way it is. I don't see it ever happening anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of collab between Morrissey and Marr though, on an album or some such.

I remember reading the drummer won a court case for rights he was probably entitled to with the Smiths' music in the 90s. Don't think it went down well with Moz.

• Advertisement

flyswatter wrote: »
    I remember reading the drummer won a court case for rights he was probably entitled to with the Smiths' music in the 90s. Don't think it went down well with Moz.

There was a big dispute about the division of royalties, as far as I remember. I think Morrissey and Marr ended up getting the most of it. I'm not sure how I feel about it - on one hand, yes, Morrissey wrote all the lyrics and Marr was really the mind behind the music so they're obviously entitled to a lot, but at the same time it wouldn't have been the same without Joyce and Rourke. Are they entitled to the same amount as Morrissey and Marr, I don't know. It's complicated. I'm sure Morrissey thinks he's the most important person in the whole thing (in one way, he is. The Smiths are nothing without his voice and lyrics), but I wouldn't underestimate the contribution of Joyce and Rourke. They are good musicians in their own right. The bassline on Nowhere Fast is f*cking class, and the drumming on I Know It's Over is perfect.

There was a big dispute about the division of royalties, as far as I remember. I think Morrissey and Marr ended up getting the most of it. I'm not sure how I feel about it - on one hand, yes, Morrissey wrote all the lyrics and Marr was really the mind behind the music so they're obviously entitled to a lot, but at the same time it wouldn't have been the same without Joyce and Rourke. Are they entitled to the same amount as Morrissey and Marr, I don't know. It's complicated. I'm sure Morrissey thinks he's the most important person in the whole thing (in one way, he is. The Smiths are nothing without his voice and lyrics), but I wouldn't underestimate the contribution of Joyce and Rourke. They are good musicians in their own right. The bassline on Nowhere Fast is f*cking class, and the drumming on I Know It's Over is perfect.

But that's the thing, I looked into this and this wasn't for royalties and publishing rights, it was over performance royalties and something else I can't recall from earlier. Morrissey and Marr got all the songwriting royalties, fair enough, that's normal enough even though as a drummer myself it's a grey area and personally think that they are entitled to songwriting royalties in many cases. Imagine Sunday Bloody Sunday without the drums or Seven Days by Sting etc. Key parts that make the song.

Andy Rourke was broke at the time and accepted straight away 80 grand and his 10% share. Joyce held out for a larger percentage (25%, equal then) more money and won. Perfectly entitled to it I say as it's live performance money. I don't see what Morrissey or even Marr would even complain about, it should be equal. They went into the case greedily expecting a 40:40:10:10 split.

flyswatter wrote: »
    But that's the thing, I looked into this and this wasn't for royalties and publishing rights, it was over performance royalties and something else I can't recall from earlier. Morrissey and Marr got all the songwriting royalties, fair enough, that's normal enough even though as a drummer myself it's a grey area and personally think that they are entitled to songwriting royalties in many cases. Imagine Sunday Bloody Sunday without the drums or Seven Days by Sting etc. Key parts that make the song.

Andy Rourke was broke at the time and accepted straight away 80 grand and his 10% share. Joyce held out for a larger percentage (25%, equal then) more money and won. Perfectly entitled to it I say as it's live performance money. I don't see what Morrissey or even Marr would even complain about, it should be equal. They went into the case greedily expecting a 40:40:10:10 split.

I see. In that case, it seems fair enough for Rourke and Joyce to get their share. I think it's probably a case of Morrissey and Marr perhaps undervaluing their contribution. May have been of the opinion that anyone could have filled those roles and it wouldn't have made a difference. From the outset it was always Morrissey and Marr firmly together as the songwriting partnership. Maybe they just saw The Smiths as themselves really, and that they were the ones that people looked up to and wanted to see, and for that reason were entitled to more. I don't really see it that way myself. A band is a collective.

It seems like way too much sh*t has gone down now anyway for a reunion to ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

In the unlikely event that it actually does happen it will only be a Morrissey/Marr type thing. I don't think they'd ever work with Joyce and Rourke again.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jovem

What do your glasses say?

Funny

Advertisement