Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What influences your decision when choosing a wedding venue?

Options
  • 01-10-2012 2:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16

Hi guys!

I'm just wondering all the brides and grooms-to-be, what influences your decision when choosing a venue?

And is there anything out there that you wish wedding venues had or accomodated for?

Don't worry I'm not an undercover employee for a hotel in Ireland, I'm a 4th year marketing student just trying to get an idea of the wedding industry in ireland before choosing a project for my final project! Any insights you have would be extremely helpful :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Things that factored into the decision for us:

Price / Value in Package Offering , Location, Decor, Grounds, Reputation for Good Food, Reputation for serving late in the Residents Lounge, Price and Quality of a Pint of Guinness, Room Rates, Licence to hold civil wedding, personality / professionalism of wedding co-ordinator, Number of Rooms, Size of Room, A Bar in the Function Room, No Corkage Charge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Snowflake13

Thanks Sleepy! Is there anything that you wish you could have had but there was no option to choose it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Not really tbh.

Anything I'd have liked that we're not getting would have been insanely expensive: Michelin Star Chef, More interesting building / grounds, exclusive use of the building etc.

One other thing they did provide which we liked was the use of a second room (about the size of an average meeting room) which they'd set up a TV & DVD in for us to let the children have a "play room" for the day. Babysitting services are useful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

For us it was a combination of price, a good value package with lots included (seat covers, flowers, table decorations, drink for the toast, reception on arrival etc. ) and a bit of a gut feeling, tbh (not very useful for you, I know!). But there was something about the atmosphere and the staff that just told us that it was the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 circleskane

there are a few personal taste things I always keep in mind for the actual venue, but customer care given by the staff at enquiry stage is essential for me and can make or break it. This wedding stuff of course isn't a cheap venture, and I have been very shocked by the poor customer service I have received throughout some enquiries in some places. Very surprising. But sure, hey. Their loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Not in order but...

Is there a direct route for people who are traveling or do not know the area?

Decor / atmosphere / attentivness of staff
    Does the venue meet your expectations in this regard?

Quality of food
    Is the food consistently prepared and served at the standard you expect?
    Is the venue skilled (not simply willing) at serving the style of food you are interesed in, there is no point having a kitchen team with amazing ability for European food if you want Asian.

Licences
    civil cermony / late bar / residents bar etc.

Facilities
    What facilities do you require? Rooms, swimming pool, childrens area, parking, drinks on arrival, seperate area from other guests, large enough dance floor, stage for band etc.

Cost
    If it doesn't meet your budget, then nothing else matters.

Additional Costs
    Corkage, late check out, chair covers etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Service was our priority,we needed a hotel with excellent service.
    Good food
    Reasonable package
    Near home(I have small children) and accessible from most of the country.
    Apartments or houses on site for people to stay
    reasonable room rates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

there are a few personal taste things I always keep in mind for the actual venue, but customer care given by the staff at enquiry stage is essential for me and can make or break it. This wedding stuff of course isn't a cheap venture, and I have been very shocked by the poor customer service I have received throughout some enquiries in some places. Very surprising. But sure, hey. Their loss.

I quite agree with this point. The venues that ended up being on our short list were all places that offered us tea/coffee on arrival (we'd made appointments everywhere we went and didn't just turn up), somewhere to sit, brought us around and spent time with us. Those that were quick with us, that didn't offer tea, just didn't give a welcoming impression and we just didn't even consider in the end.

Had our wedding at Mount Falcon and it was a very comfortable and welcoming venue, we got that feel from our very first meeting with the coordinator, Aoife. We had tea and coffee with their delicious home-made cookies.
    What swung our decision was the reputation of the venue for good food (chef won several awards) in the restaurant and for weddings, the relaxed comfort factor of the hotel and the staff (it feels like your very own manor), we just about afforded it (also liked Castle Durrow and Kilshane house, but those were beyond our budget), the decor (it's well maintained, classy, antique looking but not run-down).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 macbookair

Also, what about nice location for photo opportunities.

Advertisement