Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out of a postgraduate degree

Options
  • 01-10-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I've just started my one year taught masters and I am really not enjoying it and I am now strongly thinking of dropping out.

What I'm not sure about is the situation regarding fees when dropping out of a postgraduate degree. I have only paid a third of the fees for the year as you can pay them in three installments but if I was to drop out now would I be liable to pay the full programme fee or would I be entitled to retain some of the fee as I am leaving so early into the year?

I followed the link in the other thread regarding dropping out but it seems but I'm not sure wether or not you need a serious medical condition to claim back fees paid or still to be paid.

Any info people can impart regards this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Postgraduate is completely different to undergraduate so ignore their advice.

Basically if you drop out now you'll be liable to pay the first installment of the fees like you say but you won't have to pay the other two as you will have left the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Just as an aside regarding the amount you have to pay OP, I have also started a taught masters lasting three semesters, and I had to pay half the fees as I was told because the third semester has no teaching component (it is purely devoted to working on a thesis), then the masters is treated as a two semester degree in terms of fees- So you may need to check if you have to pay a bit more. It seemed really stupid to me and I have a feeling I was given the wrong advice but I thought perhaps I should make you aware that some people at the student desk say this.

Advertisement