Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance refund from Cancellation

• 01-10-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

I called my insurance company today to see if I could re start my policy in the coming weeks as I intend buying a new car, only to find out that they’ve actually cancelled the entire policy. They’ve offered me a refund of €200 (the policy was for €765). This is for 4 months of the policy, is it worth my while taking this €200 or is it better to just leave the policy as cancelled, so I can keep my 1 years no claims bonus?

Some background information.

I suspended my insurance policy with my insurance company at the end of February, as it was due to continue until the end of June. Due to an error on their part they didn’t suspend it, after a lot of negotiation with them they finally agreed to suspend it from the date I had requested.

Now I’ve just found out that they didn’t suspend it from February, they actually suspended it from the end of June (when it should have been, which would explain why they sent me my no claims bonus certificate).

Details
    :
    I’m 28 & male.
    They sent me a no claims cert earlier in the year. I assume I can’t use this if I take the refund?
    I would have 0 no claims bonus under my own name if I took the refund.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

If they gave you a no claims cert, and you have it in your hand, then take the money too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

^^ What he said
    You had the policy for most of a year, and made no claims.
    I think you're entitled to a NCB, morally if not (strictly) legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Legally is what I'm worried about. I don't want to take out a policy, crash the car, then find out they won't insure me because of the NCB not being 100% valid.

I'll happily take the money back off them, but if they had of had any sort of professionalism and intelligence I would have just continued my policy with them then checked their renewal price to see if it was satisfactory.

Who was it as a matter of interest?

I can tell you privately but i can’t say on this as I know they monitor this site as part of their internet monitoring. I can tell you by private message but I can’t put it on here as I know what words they search for while monitoring themselves.

• Advertisement

cloneslad wrote: »
    I can tell you privately but i can’t say on this as I know they monitor this site as part of their internet monitoring. I can tell you by private message but I can’t put it on here as I know what words they search for while monitoring themselves.
    Is it an Irish company?

Why would you be worried about them seeing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im confused about this... Is this your first year having insurance? Why would you have 1 year NCB if they cancelled it but 0 years NCB if you took the refund? They only issue a years NCB upon completion of a 12 month period of insurance so if you had 1 year NCB before the policy started then you still have 1 year regardless, and if you had no NCB and did not complete the year of the policy then you wont have a NCB regardless.

djimi wrote: »
    Im confused about this... Is this your first year having insurance? Why would you have 1 year NCB if they cancelled it but 0 years NCB if you took the refund? They only issue a years NCB upon completion of a 12 month period of insurance so if you had 1 year NCB before the policy started then you still have 1 year regardless, and if you had no NCB and did not complete the year of the policy then you wont have a NCB regardless.

They messed up my cancellation and just suspended it from the end of the contract period, when they should have actually suspended it 4 months previous. Now they have totally cancelled it (which is what I repeatedly told them that I didn’t want to happen when I suspended it). When they suspended it from the end of contract period they sent me out my NCB, but now that I have spoken to them they have confirmed that they should have actually ended it in February like I asked.

They are now refunding me the last 4 months of the service. I’d prefer to just amend the policy and add another car to it, but this doesn’t look like an option, though I’ll try calling the Irish part of the call centre, rather than India as this may prove more fruitful.

Advertisement