Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up drink for a year

Options
  • 01-10-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I am giving up drink for a year from today meaning I wont touch a drink till 1st of October 2013.

This is a decision I have made not because I am an alcoholic or because the drink is causing any great stress on my life but just to see what I can get done without the distraction of booze in my life.

I am looking for suggestion to replace the drink on the weekends as I would be someone who goes out at least twice for a few.

I am also looking for peoples thoughts on the matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Great decision.

''...what I can get done without the distraction of booze in my life'.

With the above in mind, 3 things spring to my mind immediately:
    1. Improve upon or vary your physical fitness/activities
    2. embark on a course of study or new mentally stimulating hobby
    3. plan on how to invest the money you will save

And if you look through old posts here there are plenty of suggestions on what to do with your weekends, there's a whole world out there outside the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

One of the more important steps in overcoming an alcohol problem/addiction/just want to stop ;) is to understand the many benefits you will receive by living a healthier lifestyle. A great way to do this is to make a list of these benefits, and refer to it often to reinforce your commitment to removing alcohol from your life.You should regularly review what is working and what’s not, what things are still tripping you up and most importantly, what benefits you are seeing. Remind yourself of your original reasons for wanting to stop drinking alcohol. By getting a plan together and working it will also help no end,Good luck its not easy but can and has been done by many:)

Advertisement