Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Religious Texts Or Theological Literature Have You Read?

Options
  • 01-10-2012 3:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what religious texts the good people here and the people from the other spirituality forums have read. I mean the major texts that are central to the religion such as The Qur'an or the Bible as well as other works like the hadiths or the Talmud as well as what religion you happen to be a member of or if you're a member of any religion or if your an atheists or an agnostic?

What religious group do you belong to and what religious texts have you read? 111 votes

I am a Christian
    0%
    I am a Muslim
    4%
    Manachscottie pippentdv123OnesimusMidlife Crashes 5 votes
    I am a Buddhist
    0%
    tdv123 1 vote
    I am a Hindu
    2%
    coffee_cake[-0-]tdv123 3 votes
    I am a Jew
    0%
    tdv123 1 vote
    I am a Sikh
    0%
    tdv123 1 vote
    I am an atheist or an agnostic
    0%
    tdv123 1 vote
    I am not a member of any (above) religious group. (Please specify).
    27%
    SarkyGregor Samsasmokingmangoose2005legspinDadessinkCorkfeenBlowfish[-0-]nozzferrahhtoofitz0LiamarioSteelyDanJalapenooldrnwisrdecisionsgoogled eyesdoctoremmaB9K9tdv123 30 votes
    I have read the Bible
    0%
    tdv123 1 vote
    I have read The Qur'an
    25%
    ManachSarkyGregor Samsasmokingmangoose2005legspinDadesCorkfeenDoc_SavageBlowfish[-0-]nozzferrahhtoofitz0Liamariooldrnwisrdecisionsgoogled eyesscottie pippendoctoremmaB9K9 28 votes
    I have read the Buddhavacana
    9%
    Manachsmokingmangoose2005legspinnozzferrahhtoooldrnwisrgoogled eyesB9K9tdv123Sindrizenbuffy 11 votes
    I have read the Shruti
    3%
    [-0-]nozzferrahhtoooldrnwisrtdv123 4 votes
    I have read the Tor'ah
    1%
    goose2005tdv123 2 votes
    I have read the Gurū Granth Sāhib.
    5%
    smokingmangoose2005legspinnozzferrahhtoooldrnwisrtdv123 6 votes
    I have read the Talmud
    1%
    oldrnwisrtdv123 2 votes
    I have read the hadiths
    3%
    legspinnozzferrahhtoooldrnwisrtdv123 4 votes
    I have read a religious text not listed. (Please specify).
    2%
    nozzferrahhtoooldrnwisrtdv123 3 votes
    I have read none of the above.
    7%
    Gregor Samsalegspincoffee_cakenozzferrahhtoofitz0oldrnwisrscottie pippentdv123 8 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have read The Qur'an
    I'd have read bits or most of the Bible when in school, but never from cover to cover. Never attempted to read any other flavour of religion, either (unless Dune counts!)

Life's too short. I have a reading list of quality books as long as my arm and nowhere near enough time to read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

I have read The Qur'an
    Dades wrote: »
    I'd have read bits or most of the Bible when in school, but never from cover to cover. Never attempted to read any other flavour of religion, either
    Same, but maybe not so much that I'd say "most" of the bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have read The Qur'an
    Did anyone else voting through the touch site end up with a totally screwy poll result?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sindri wrote: »
    Just wondering what religious texts the good people here and the people from the other spirituality forums have read.
    Certainly more of the NT than the OT, and in English and Greek and occasionally in Latin. I recall being entertained, in rather a sad way, by the meaninglessness of the English translations when not read within the philosophical context of the original Greek prose. Especially for John's text which is much the most polished and literate of what's, otherwise, a distinctly mediocre and distinctly dubious set of documents. I was almost equally surprised by the juvenile tone and outlook of Matthew's text.

The parts of the Koran I tried to read are, for me anyway, unreadable though I'm sure this is due to a "closed heart" or somesuch.

There are much more illuminating books out there, and some of them predate the bible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've read the bible in English which is how I'd primary interpret in. It was literally an academic exercise to read it in Greek, but what I got out of it, was a new appreciation of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Chunk of the bible, bhagavad gita, number of sutras

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

A few different versions of the bible, a koran, bits and pieces of the Talmud and the Torah
    Oh, and Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard.

All full of bullshít but the last one in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

robindch wrote: »
    Certainly more of the NT than the OT, and in English and Greek and occasionally in Latin. I recall being entertained, in rather a sad way, by the meaninglessness of the English translations when not read within the philosophical context of the original Greek prose. Especially for John's text which is much the most polished and literate of what's, otherwise, a distinctly mediocre and distinctly dubious set of documents. I was almost equally surprised by the juvenile tone and outlook of Matthew's text.

The parts of the Koran I tried to read are, for me anyway, unreadable though I'm sure this is due to a "closed heart" or somesuch.

There are much more illuminating books out there, and some of them predate the bible.

I found The Qur'an difficult to read as well. Sebastian Faulks said it's like it was written by a schizophrenic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Never got more than a few pages into the Bible. Few things on various pagan religious revivals. Only thing I ever read that struck me as genuinely worth the the time was by something by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, which ironically I can't remember the name of for the life of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

I've read most of the bible at one stage or another. Still 1 and a half gospels to get through though.

Something about reading the same story over and over again just puts me off finishing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Not sure how to vote on the poll. To select an option would you have to have read a complete text, or does having read some of it(them) mean I'd select the option?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Read most of the old testement. Liked some of the imagery...ploughing your enemies into the ashes and that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've read the Bible cover to cover a couple of times. Ecclesiastes is brilliant, if you ignore all the god stuff. Had a stab at the Book of Mormon (it was given to me by a doorstepper years ago), but gave up fairly quickly. I've read a few Hare Krishna books, but never the Bhagavad-gita or any other Hindu texts. I have a copy of the Quran on my phone, and have dipped in and out of it from time to time. I'm afraid to delete the app in case it sparks international protests.

The Book of the SubGenius is the closest any religious book I've read yet has come to making any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Jaysus, I haven't read anything of the ones on the list.

I'm a theological hipster, I don't read any of that mainstream stuff. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I've read a fair chunk of the NT and some of the OT. Not enough to quote or anything, but enough to dislike it. I've also read the Tao Te Ching which I'm surprised to not see on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've never owned a Bible.
    I've dabble a bit in this version of it though: http://www.thebricktestament.com/home.html

Alas, just like the Joseph Smith story in South Park it's hard to know what's crazy because it's exaggerated for comedic effect and what's crazy from the source material.

I can't see myself learning anything or enjoying reading most religious books so it's hard to justify the time and effort required. The only thing it would be for would be debating online and that would be pretty sad IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Gbear wrote: »
    I've never owned a Bible.
    I've dabble a bit in this version of it though: http://www.thebricktestament.com/home.html

Alas, just like the Joseph Smith story in South Park it's hard to know what's crazy because it's exaggerated for comedic effect and what's crazy from the source material.

I can't see myself learning anything or enjoying reading most religious books so it's hard to justify the time and effort required. The only thing it would be for would be debating online and that would be pretty sad IMO.

To be fair when nearly everyone living around you believes something to be true it lends more reason to investigate the subject. I've read up on psychics and homeopathy for similar reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ShooterSF wrote: »
    To be fair when nearly everyone living around you believes something to be true it lends more reason to investigate the subject. I've read up on psychics and homeopathy for similar reasons.

Well there's a bit of research and there's reading the whole bible and/or other religious books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

robindch wrote: »

Care to expand? Would love to hear what I'm missing not knowing Greek. Also love to hear on what level is it mediocre? is it in terms of its language, grammar, message, literacy? Also, what is the context of the word 'dubious', and how did you arrive at the conclusion that they are dubious? Also, could you expand on the juvenile claim with regards to Matthews account? As in the language reads like a childrens book or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Gbear wrote: »
    Well there's a bit of research and there's reading the whole bible and/or other religious books.

Oh yeah absolutely! I haven't read the bible cover to cover nor do I have any desire to. The same of the Quran. But as an interest in other people I like to read what they believe to try and understand them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I have read The Qur'an
    JimiTime wrote: »
    Care to expand? Would love to hear what I'm missing not knowing Greek. Also love to hear on what level is it mediocre? is it in terms of its language, grammar, message, literacy? Also, what is the context of the word 'dubious', and how did you arrive at the conclusion that they are dubious? Also, could you expand on the juvenile claim with regards to Matthews account? As in the language reads like a childrens book or what?
    Jimi, you'd have to read the bible to know what Robin is talking about, and the poll suggests you haven't. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

I am now atheist, but I was catholic as a child,
    also read a large chunks of the book of Morman, and almost got Baptized.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Dades wrote: »
    Jimi, you'd have to read the bible to know what Robin is talking about, and the poll suggests you haven't. ;)

So would he, so it should be an interesting to see him expand on his conclusions. Especially with regards to the meaninglessness of the English translations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I have read the Gurū Granth Sāhib.
    JimiTime wrote: »

I think the Greek of the synoptic (Mat/Mark/Luke) is written in fairly simplistic Greek by people who may have had it as a second language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

I have read The Qur'an
    You forgot the Book of Mormon.

Advertisement