Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry requirements????

Options
  • 30-09-2012 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I'm repeating this year and want to study Arts(with music) in Nui Maynooth. The entry requirements say you need a higher D3 or more in Irish, English and language(french) 'm doing all higher level and you don't need maths.

My question is if you fail maths will you still get into the course and do you actually need the 380 points or can you just get the grades and not the points to gain entry to the course.

Any one doing Arts in Maynooth please let me know what you think of it and some advice please ! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

For all universities (and all IT's I know) you need to pass maths (at ordinary or higher level) to even gain access to the college, so no, if you failed maths you wouldn't get into the course.
    Well if the points were 380 points for this year, that means the last person that got into the course got in with 380 points. May decrease/increase next year, but it'll be surely somewhat similar, maybe less points as Arts haven't seemed to increase in points (though don't take my word as gospel). This year though, you needed 380 points at least to get into the course, if that's the points it states for the CAO 2012. If you can apply for the HEAR scheme you could maybe get in on lower points, like 360ish maybe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You need:

1) to matriculate (the entry requirements set by the University for all courses, or sometimes for courses in each faculty)

2) any additional 'minimum requirements' for THAT SPECIFIC COURSE

3) then and only then will you be ranked by points with everyone else who has fulfilled 1 and 2, and the top X number of people get places. The points of the last person in is the 'cut-off point' ... it was 380 last year, it could go up or down.

All points must be calculated from the results of ONE year's LC. However, you can satisfy minimum entry requirements from a sitting of the LC different from that which you use to calculate your points (except for medicine).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Btw, I don't think you need maths for Music, but CHECK IT in the University prospectus and with your careers teacher, don't rely on my dodgy memory! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

You need the points for the course and also the min entry requirements which you said is a higher D1 in english, Irish and a language. You would need a pass in maths higher or ordinary level to gain access to university

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Check the course on qualifax.ie and it will give you all the requirements you need. From what I can see, for music, you need:

2 Higher Level C3's + 4 Ordinary Level D3's
    English, Irish + a third language
    Leaving Certificate Music HC3 (or equivalent) or Grade 6 Theory and Practical from RIAM (Dublin) or ABRSM (London).

From this, you would still get into the course if you failed maths but had passed 6 other subjects (2 C3's at HL, 4 D3's at OL). However, be aware that you have to choose 2 other subjects to do in first year along with music, and some of these do need maths - Accounting, Business, Computer Science, Economics, Finance, Mathematical Studies and Statistics.

There are a lot of other courses which do need maths, so don't sit back with maths just because you don't have to pass it for this course, in case you don't get your first choice or if you change your mind on your course any time in the future.

You will definitely need to get the required points of the year in order to get in. You need both points and requirements, not just one or the other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement