Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kerosene pumps in limerick

Options
  • 30-09-2012 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hi all,
    silly question but does anyone know of petrol stations in the west limerick area or the city itself, that have kerosene pumps to fill drums of the stuff, delivery crowds have too high of a minimum amount :-(
    cheers all for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Roches garage in Shanagolden sell heating oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bundyae85

nice one cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Anyone know of the same thing in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

The Snipe wrote: »
    Anyone know of the same thing in the city?

Amber old cork road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

bundyae85 wrote: »
    hi all,
    silly question but does anyone know of petrol stations in the west limerick area or the city itself, that have kerosene pumps to fill drums of the stuff, delivery crowds have too high of a minimum amount :-(
    cheers all for any info.

Hey was just thinking, if you weren't in a rush would any of the oil companies agree to call to you (or anyone else in the same boat) after visiting a house in your general area?

Makes sense to me as they still profit from your extra business with no real extra cost to them, this time of year those trucks will be on the road all day long....... A few phonecalls will tell ya anyhow, also don't you end up spending an awful lot more per litre at the kero pumps (?) - might save you in the long run etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I've never gotten it from a pump. What would I put it in or do they supply a container?

I can never afford to fill up the tank :o. I wait until my ma and da are getting some and they ask yer man to throw one or two hundred into mine depending on what cash I have to spend.

I know some places can be very strict on a minimum payment but these guys seem fine with that arrangement. In fact, I know that he came to my elderly neighbour one Christmas day so he's a decent sort. He's based in Old Pallas, not sure what his catchment area is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

I would suggest the station at Rourkes Cross out past Croom is the only one I can think of. Iv never seen Amber to do the kerosene.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

mud wrote: »
    I've never gotten it from a pump. What would I put it in or do they supply a container?

You can get the container in the likes of B&Q or any hardware stores. If youre filling up at a station just be sure your container can be sealed proper cos stations are picky that way

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

The petrol station across from Roxboro Garda station does it, we were stuck last week and got some there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Recession fuels, next to lidl in newcastle west sell kerosene by the drum. Not sure how much, have seen the ad on the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bundyae85

The petrol station across from Roxboro Garda station does it, we were stuck last week and got some there.
    Recession fuels, next to lidl in newcastle west sell kerosene by the drum. Not sure how much, have seen the ad on the wall.

cheers, will check them out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

mud wrote: »

Go in to a mechanics garage and ask if they have any old small drums around or containers.

I remember last year Centra in Raheen were selling already filled containers. I'm not sure how much they charge.

Make sure to shop around as only this week in Galway I found 3euro difference in the price charged per 20 litres from 2 petrol stations in Galway only half a mile away from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

Bennetts in roxboro do it and they supply the container

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lanzecki

20.99 for 20 ltrs. But you need a drum. He told me they used to loan drums but the never got returned.

Bennetts in Limerick's website says €29 including drum. I assume that is 20 ltrs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Ryan's centra near the south court sell some kinda heating oil in drums. No idea on price or if it is kero, presume it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 celliman

if your working out in shannon,flan o neills or donnelans in smithstown sell kero or diesel at 1euro per litre and will give you a retunable container.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

Below quote from the EMO website for 250L which is the minimum amount.

Fuel KERO
    No. Of Litres 250
    Online Payment Cost
    Cost Per Litre 97.74 cents
    Cost Per Litre + VAT 110.93 cents
    Total inc. VAT 277.34

As you can see if you can manage to get 20L for €1 a litre then you are 10c a litre better off!
    I got a call from EMO last week wanting to sell me Kero as I dealt with them last year. They offered me €5 off for every 500L ordered. WOW...thats amazing I said I'll take 10,000L of your finest black gold! Nah on second thoughts I'm grand with the coal.
    Distributors are obviously feeling the pinch since people simply cannot afford to fill up on oil this year. Next year will be worse again. Fuel prices need to drop or people simply can't/won't buy. Demand Vs supply...lower demand...more supply...logic says prices have got to fall. If not business is going to get tougher and only the strongest companies will survive. I'm not buying a drop of oil this year and so far I'm managing fine with the real fire. I'm lucky though that a back boiler was installed so heats all the rads in the house too.

I had cause to get some oil from Bennets (open weekends) in Limerick this weekend.

A new drum will cost you €6. it'll hold around 27 ltrs. Well mine did.

The sell oil at a price of 102.9, Yes 8cent a lts cheaper then DOBBER112 mentioned.

I called my local oil supplier to get a fill and they quoted 114.9 per ltr.

I guess the extra price is for the convienance of it, but when you are talking 1500 liters and my local supplier wouldn't give a discount for 1500lts as it didn't meet their 'bulk sales' terms (new to me), that's €180.

Kinda makes ya wonder.

It's worth saying I'm in rural Limerick, I'd imagine that city prices are cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DOBBER112

Lanzecki wrote: »
    I had cause to get some oil from Bennets (open weekends) in Limerick this weekend.

A new drum will cost you €6. it'll hold around 27 ltrs. Well mine did.

The sell oil at a price of 102.9, Yes 8cent a lts cheaper then DOBBER112 mentioned.

I called my local oil supplier to get a fill and they quoted 114.9 per ltr.

I guess the extra price is for the convienance of it, but when you are talking 1500 liters and my local supplier wouldn't give a discount for 1500lts as it didn't meet their 'bulk sales' terms (new to me), that's €180.

Kinda makes ya wonder.

It's worth saying I'm in rural Limerick, I'd imagine that city prices are cheaper?

Sure does make you wonder that if the big distributors are charging those prices and Bennett's can still make a profit on what they sell at then it really does look like there's a rip off going on in the home heating oil industry. I'd rather fill up bit by bit and save myself that ripoff then go for the convenience option and end up paying up to €180 more. Businesses need to learn that people just haven't got the extra funds for being ripped off anymore. That culture should have died with the Celtic Tiger. Great post Lanzecki, I'm sure this will help more than a few people who are cash strapped to keep their houses warm.

Thanks. Since I pass Bennets regularly it seems sensible to stop and fill a couple of drums.

Only problem is getting them into the tank. But I'm thinking about a way around that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

Amber on he old cork road sell it at 101.9 a litre if you have your own container

• Registered Users Posts: 26 redhead33

Lanzecki wrote: »
    Thanks. Since I pass Bennets regularly it seems sensible to stop and fill a couple of drums.

Only problem is getting them into the tank. But I'm thinking about a way around that.

i got an old traffic cone from council guys workin outside my house ,cut the top off and walla u have a fine big funnell for pouring in your oil..

redhead33 wrote: »
    i got an old traffic cone from council guys workin outside my house ,cut the top off and walla u have a fine big funnell for pouring in your oil..

I recently got some pipe work and an old fuel pump. Drop a hose into the can, and turn the pump on. Come back 10 mins later. :)

Advertisement