Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Lingerie as a Gift for Wife or Girlfriend - Online or Over-the-Counter?

Options
  • 30-09-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Guys, When buying a gift of lingerie for your wife or girl-friend, how do you prefer to purchase? This time last year, when my lady's birthday came around, I used a boutique's on-line catalogue to choose, then collected the gift in person.

Though I had visions of Ted and Dougal and was dreading the pick-up to some extent, it turned out to be quite painless and, in fact, a bit of fun. The assistant was impressed that I knew exactly what I was looking for, including the precise size and colour.

Likewise, my lady gave me credit for doing my homework in relation to her choice of colour, and for getting the size right. Happy days;)

Guys, have you purchased a gift of lingerie for your wife or girlfriend? 39 votes

Yes (online)
    0% 0 votes
    Yes (over-the-counter)
    28% 11 votes
    Not yet, but I intend to
    33% 13 votes
    No, and I don't intend to
    38% 15 votes

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

agent provocateur is always a good store to buy from check them out online

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

agent provocateur is always a good store to buy from check them out online

Better get a loan out from the bank!

So much money for so little material :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Incase anyone isn't familiar with their products!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Better get a loan out from the bank!

Id happilly bye a gf that sort of underwear maybe once a year as a treat its not that much when you get to enjoy such wonderfull sights :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've done both so didn't vote...

Have no problems buying in person but on-line is often far cheaper...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I personally would not like to be given lingerie as a gift...ive a bag load of it never worn prob worth over 5000euro that still has the labels on it and sits at the boot of my car that i should actually throw out...i wouldnt mind wearing it sometime now, but just never seems to happen.

Complete waste and would have prefered a holiday away for the price it costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If it's all got labels still, ebay it and you might get the cost of a holiday out of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭marbless

Sometimes less is more - it really is;)
    I personally would not like to be given lingerie as a gift...ive a bag load of it never worn prob worth over 5000euro that still has the labels on it and sits at the boot of my car that i should actually throw out...i wouldnt mind wearing it sometime now, but just never seems to happen.
    Perhaps the clue is in your name, magneticimpulse - you attract lingerie like a magnet:confused:? What was the line in the old ad - "Men can't help acting on impulse"

Actually, I learned a lot from buying the gift last year - the kind of thing they don't teach in secondary school. I mean, who knew (among men) that certain bras are designed smaller than others, so you sometimes have to get a bigger cup size to ensure comfort for your lady? (Think I feel a chat-up line coming on - not.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I've always had a weird kinda of unique view on this whole subject and it goes like this...! If I go out and buy a gf some sexy underwear, is it not myself that I'm actually really buying the present for in a way?!? Like if I go out and get really sexy gear for her (when there was a "her"!), who's gonna get the enjoyment out of it really?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Tefral

Went in and bought some before. I knew all the details and the girls in there were very impressed. However when I got to the till and the till broke and then one of the bottoms didnt have the correct barcode on and the whole back and forth i felt a bit self aware. There was a queue of women behind me and me at the top. Then when it was all fixed, the girl behind the counter started asking me about gift wrapping it. Said "sure go on", out comes this box and then in some flower petals and everything.

I just wanted to get the **** out. If anyone has seen the movie love actually: you know the scene with Rowan Atkinson in the jewllers when Alan Rickmans character buys the necklace, he is filling the bag with all sorts of smelly stuff and wrapping it. I felt like that.

Edit found it:

• Advertisement

cronin_j wrote: »
    However when I got to the till and the till broke and then one of the bottoms didnt have the correct barcode on and the whole back and forth i felt a bit self aware. There was a queue of women behind me and me at the top.
    I just wanted to get the **** out.
    Yeah, the more women customers the greater the potential embarrassment. A store in Bray a few years ago used to have "men-only" hours in the run-up to Christmas.

Meanwhile, back in the fitting-room:
    http://www.cupcakeslingerie.ie/index.php/fitting-room.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I used to work in the lingerie section of a very well know, rather posh department store. Each year at Christmas and before Valentine's Day we'd get a slew of male customers coming in to buy something for their lady friends. If I could be so bold, there are a few hints and tips I'd like to give to any man planning to do the same...

1. Go in armed with her sizes, don't do it on visual judgement alone. You may not know what a 34D is, but the assistant will. Please do not use the assistant's bust as a visual reference or hold out your hands in a cupped shape to gauge how they would fit in comparison to your partners (it happened a lot).

2. I'd advise going to a store over buying them on-line. A decent shop will have assistants who've seen it all and will be used to helping men buy gifts. We used to chat to the guys to find out about their wives and girlfriends and made suggestions based on what underwear the guys could describe her already having.

3. If your partner is conscious of her tummy, babydolls or bodices are usually a good bet - they cover the wobbly bits and show off her better assets (the boobage).

4. Very, very, very few women like red lace. If she already has some, then grand. If she doesn't, it's too dodgy a choice to make on her behalf.

5. Is it somewhat practical? If it is she might be able to wear it for work. Good lingerie will keep a woman's mind racing all day, and you'll benefit when she gets home. If also helps her feel like she's getting good use out of it. A lot of us are practical creatures at the end of the day.

6. Underwired is best for 98% of women over the age of 22.

7. If she's never worn suspenders before they can be a bit tricky, stick to something a little simpler if you're doing the purchasing.

8. The skimpier the garment, the higher the chance she might feel uncomfortable wearing it as it's more likely to not hide her problem bits. Know your partners' body and know which bits she likes to show and which to hide.

9. When you give them to her, make sure she's comfortable. Having a glass of wine or her favourite drink to hand isn't a bad idea. I was once given sexy lingerie on a Sunday morning with my unwashed hair pulled back into a Chelsea facelift and my oldest, dirtiest bed-time t-shirt on. I felt about as sexy as a dishcloth and couldn't have been less receptive to trying stuff on :o

10. Agent Provocateur - while incredibly beautiful pieces and terribly naughty - will only suit about 2% of the population. Get her something she'll enjoy and feel comfortable in and I guarantee you it'll put AP stuff to shame with how good she'll look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I am guessing a lot of women would view their partners buying Lingerie for them as not really a gift for her but one for you? Lets be honest lads who here wouldn't be happy if for their own birthday the OH came home with Lingerie?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

kayos wrote: »
    I am guessing a lot of women would view their partners buying Lingerie for them as not really a gift for her but one for you? Lets be honest lads who here wouldn't be happy if for their own birthday the OH came home with Lingerie?

Depends on the kind of lingerie, surely. I've been bought some really nice stuff that I wear all the time. I probably get more out of that than he does. But I also have stuff that you'd put on before you get into bed ;) and that would be to both of our benefits I suppose.

g'em wrote: »
    I used to work in the lingerie section of a very well know, rather posh department store. Each year at Christmas and before Valentine's Day we'd get a slew of male customers coming in to buy something for their lady friends. If I could be so bold, there are a few hints and tips I'd like to give to any man planning to do the same...

1. Go in armed with her sizes, don't do it on visual judgement alone. You may not know what a 34D is, but the assistant will. Please do not use the assistant's bust as a visual reference or hold out your hands in a cupped shape to gauge how they would fit in comparison to your partners (it happened a lot).

2. I'd advise going to a store over buying them on-line. A decent shop will have assistants who've seen it all and will be used to helping men buy gifts. We used to chat to the guys to find out about their wives and girlfriends and made suggestions based on what underwear the guys could describe her already having.

3. If your partner is conscious of her tummy, babydolls or bodices are usually a good bet - they cover the wobbly bits and show off her better assets (the boobage).

4. Very, very, very few women like red lace. If she already has some, then grand. If she doesn't, it's too dodgy a choice to make on her behalf.

5. Is it somewhat practical? If it is she might be able to wear it for work. Good lingerie will keep a woman's mind racing all day, and you'll benefit when she gets home. If also helps her feel like she's getting good use out of it. A lot of us are practical creatures at the end of the day.

6. Underwired is best for 98% of women over the age of 22.

7. If she's never worn suspenders before they can be a bit tricky, stick to something a little simpler if you're doing the purchasing.

8. The skimpier the garment, the higher the chance she might feel uncomfortable wearing it as it's more likely to not hide her problem bits. Know your partners' body and know which bits she likes to show and which to hide.

9. When you give them to her, make sure she's comfortable. Having a glass of wine or her favourite drink to hand isn't a bad idea. I was once given sexy lingerie on a Sunday morning with my unwashed hair pulled back into a Chelsea facelift and my oldest, dirtiest bed-time t-shirt on. I felt about as sexy as a dishcloth and couldn't have been less receptive to trying stuff on :o

10. Agent Provocateur - while incredibly beautiful pieces and terribly naughty - will only suit about 2% of the population. Get her something she'll enjoy and feel comfortable in and I guarantee you it'll put AP stuff to shame with how good she'll look :)
    WOW! What a fantastic post - huge thanks:D

kayos wrote: »
    Yeah, but the challenge is for the guy to have the bottle to purchase something that his lady will really like and that will improve her opinion of him. The satisfaction of getting it right is considerable - who dares wins;)

Advertisement