Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study in America?

Options
  • 29-09-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Thinking of doing an Erasmus year in America next year as part of the third year in my degree. I was wondering does anyone have any advice, need to knows about studying in the US for a year.

I'd like to know how much money would be recommended for me to have during the academic year to pay for all the essentials.

Also what would be some of the important dates this year, in terms of when I should apply and whether myself or my college sorts out most of it.

Thanks,
    Michael

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Your best bet is to check out which, if any, US universities your college at home has exchange partnerships with (google should sort this out for you). Depending on the type of arrangements they have, the costs etc. will vary.

When I did it I paid my fees/housing to my home university and the incoming american student paid theirs to their home college so in real terms it didn't cost either of us any more than if we'd spent the year at home. I had to have a certain amount in the bank for my US visa but other than that I didn't need to take bundles of cash with me. Very often you're allowed to work p/t on your student visa so that helps with costs. From recollection I had to have all my paperwork in for Jan/Feb for the upcoming August.

Erasmus is the EU programme btw, and American colleges don't participate in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Thanks pow wow.

I'm in NUI Maynooth and I got my list of their partner universities in the states from the International Students section of their website.

I was worried about the funds I would need in my bank, but my parents are willing to help me out, which I will repay them afterward.

How do I go about getting a visa? Also want to do the J1 so will need to have it for both more than likely.

Once you're accepted by the college you pick they do all the paperwork for your visa (saying they're sponsoring you etc.) which they then send to you. You have to go for an interview at the American embassy much like any other visa application, and provide the forms and proof you have x amount in your bank (I can't remember the amount, it was a couple of thousand a few years ago). It's all very straightforward - it's a J1 visa that you'll get, valid for the period of study that the US college specifies on the form. Once your J1 expires you have 30 days to travel etc. if you wish before you leave.

I'm not sure if you can run two J1s back to back without coming home on a break first - that's something you'll need to look into if you're planning to spend the subsequent summer over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I did a single semester in a US university, so from January to May. But when filling out forms I filled them out January-August 31st, so that was the period of my J1 visa, meaning I could stay on for the summer.

Look into that though. With my student J1 visa I was limited to what work I was allowed do, only on campus or an internship directly related to my program. I didn't work during the summer, so never got any info into whether I was allowed other types of work out of term times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Hey all,

I will contact USIT and find out if I can run the two J1's back-to-back.

Few of the universities I was looking at are private and my university (NUI Maynooth) isn't a private college, but still linked to them.

Can I pay the NUIM fees if I do go for one of the private colleges or will it be extra because they are private?

• Advertisement

It's difficult to say but I would 'suspect' you'd pay your regular NUIM fees as that's how most exchanges work. Keep in mind that if you're going into campus housing in the US you may have to pay an equivalent in housing fees at home (as the American student would do for you coming in) - it can be an upfront cost that most people don't think of.

Re. the private colleges, ISEP is an international organisation that arranges exchanges between colleges on their roster and it doesn't cost a state university student any more to go on exchange to a private US institution than they would pay in tuition at home (list of programme fees to illustrate here). Demand for private colleges can be higher in exchange terms so make sure you have a 2nd and 3rd choice!

Advertisement