Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What upgrades to install in a old m4

Options
  • 29-09-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have am4 that I was thinking of selling but after seeing the state of the internals ( in gud nick ) was thinking of bringing it back from the grave was think of a decent rof set up with hi speed gears and light weight pistons etc and maybe a high torque motor or do you guys have any suggestions like build a gearbox from the ground up or thinking of dropping in a ultimate gearbox or a vfc but I'm not sure if it would fit , any tech advice would be nice. The base gun is going to be a metal aps m4 body or the ca system I have up for sale or trade on adverts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

I have am4 that I was thinking of selling but after seeing the state of the internals ( in gud nick ) was thinking of bringing it back from the grave was think of a decent rof set up with hi speed gears and light weight pistons etc and maybe a high torque motor or do you guys have any suggestions like build a gearbox from the ground up or thinking of dropping in a ultimate gearbox or a vfc but I'm not sure if it would fit , any tech advice would be nice. The base gun is going to be a metal aps m4 body or the ca system I have up for sale or trade on adverts

If the base rifle is going to be the A.P.S. M4, you'd have to get an A.P.S. version two Gen. II gearbox if you bought your rifle before November 2011, as the new Gen. III won't fit into the body. Also, there are different parts like the charging handle, gearbox shell, hop, tappet plate, trigger, anti-reversal latch, so on..... Basically everything in the A.P.S. is different and won't fit other brands.

In short, dump the A.P.S. and upgrade the CA System.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

What are you going to run it on, A Lipo or ordinary battery, A 7.4 lipo will give the same rate of fire as a 9.6 nicd type of battery, If you want an extreme rate of fire you would be looking an an 11.1 lipo, In that case you would need a reinforced gearbox and a good mosfet, Plus the internals to go with it, As for a High tourque motor given the legal limit here you would do better with a high speed motor unless you are looking down the lines of a short stroke, I don't in my opinion think you need a high tourque motor to pull an M80, M85 or M90 spring but as allways I stand to be corrected here

|??

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mk14 ebr user

The reason for the high torque was because it reaches its peak speed faster than a high speed motor , so logically it should allow for the gearbox to cycle faster , was also planning on running 11.1 v lipid so any suggestions for a strong ass shell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

Ahhhh I live and learn lol:D , As for a gearboxshell mate I've never run an 11.1 in any of me aegs so I would not like to reccomend one, But I suppose a VFC would be the one I would go for

The reason for the high torque was because it reaches its peak speed faster than a high speed motor , so logically it should allow for the gearbox to cycle faster , was also planning on running 11.1 v lipid so any suggestions for a strong ass shell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Rooky1

The VFC GB shell doesn't have much reinforcement inside, a better bet would be a G&P shell.

Hi speed gears and a hi torque motor will give you a very snappy trigger and a nippy ROF.
    An active braking mosfet will make it snappier and protect your contacts.
    An 11.1 is not really necessary for a high ROF set up.

What kind of ROF are you looking for?

You are right with the motors, a hi torque (with good strong magnets) spins up to full speed straight away, whereas a hispeed motor has too wind up too speed.

A hi speed motor is good for a quick set up using standard ratio gears (18:1) or standard hi speed gears (16:1).

This is just my opinion/experience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement