Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preserved rail in USA

Options
  • 29-09-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Planning to go to New York soon does anyone know is there any preserved/ heritage lines in the states of New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Planning to go to New York soon does anyone know is there any preserved/ heritage lines in the states of New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania ?

They here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 the_doctor

Someone should provide some prospective and suggestions as to which would be the most suitable for the poster. The idea of suggesting Google is very poor.

I would concentrate on seeing some of the active railways. I would not focus on heritage lines. Yes, almost every museum is larger than anything found in Ireland.

However, America has a lot of different things. Instead of waiting for the one goods train you can see 20 per a day very easily.

New Jersey offers(get the latest Trains magazine from America with lots of maps!!) freight, high speed rail, and commuter rail. This is really cool and surprising to many.

The mileage between places is much more than you think.

You could go upstate New York. I would go to places like Utica Train Station and other spots on the ex-NYC for lots of run-bys. Visit the Finger Lake Railways. Try west of Albany to focus on seeing the most with the least hassle. Avoid Selkirk yard and Albany. You will be frustrated with poor viewing points and limited access.

Pittsburgh isn't the same to me, anymore.

As for museums the diverse collections are found in Union IL, St. Louis, MO, etc. Some of the most interesting electric traction is actually in California near Napa Wine Country. Museums such as Danbury, CT do not have quite the extensive collection as found to the west. There is also the Connecticut Trolley Museum with a few pieces.

I've been there and done it so I feel qualified to offer an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

They here.

Yeah thanks did that already .....

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

the_doctor wrote: »

Someone should provide some prospective and suggestions as to which would be the most suitable for the poster. The idea of suggesting Google is very poor.

I would concentrate on seeing some of the active railways. I would not focus on heritage lines. Yes, almost every museum is larger than anything found in Ireland.

However, America has a lot of different things. Instead of waiting for the one goods train you can see 20 per a day very easily.

New Jersey offers(get the latest Trains magazine from America with lots of maps!!) freight, high speed rail, and commuter rail. This is really cool and surprising to many.

The mileage between places is much more than you think.

You could go upstate New York. I would go to places like Utica Train Station and other spots on the ex-NYC for lots of run-bys. Visit the Finger Lake Railways. Try west of Albany to focus on seeing the most with the least hassle. Avoid Selkirk yard and Albany. You will be frustrated with poor viewing points and limited access.

Pittsburgh isn't the same to me, anymore.

As for museums the diverse collections are found in Union IL, St. Louis, MO, etc. Some of the most interesting electric traction is actually in California near Napa Wine Country. Museums such as Danbury, CT do not have quite the extensive collection as found to the west. There is also the Connecticut Trolley Museum with a few pieces.

I've been there and done it so I feel qualified to offer an opinion.

Many thanks for the info will try and incorporate some of your suggestions into trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Planning to go to New York soon does anyone know is there any preserved/heritage lines in the states of New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania?
    The closest active heritage line to NYC in New Jersey is the Black River & Western, part of a former Pennsylvania Railroad line (the Belvidere-Delaware), that runs generally between Flemington and Ringoes in that state. Used to run to Lambertville, which is across the river from the nearest one in Pennsylvania, the New Hope & Ivyland (ex-Reading New Hope Branch), which has the most reliable and frequent steam operation in the region. (Both between 60-70 miles west of the city.) Both the BR&W and NH&I are also short lines that carry freight; the NH&I is a contract mechanical repair facility too for both steam and diesel engines.

There are occasional steam railway operations on another former segment of the Belvidere & Delaware in Phillipsburg, New Jersey. Of late, these have been operated by the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railway, a regional operator and probably the last of its kind in the New York area under its original name. The NYSW also operates steam excursions in other areas of the state.

There is also Steamtown up in Scranton PA, which is about 130 miles west of New York.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They here.
    Play nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Recent video by Big Jim productions of the Black River & Western's #60 2-8-0 out on the railway; recently rebuilt. Originally built in 1937 by ALCO for the Great Western Railway. Seen here moving freight on the railway as well as the tourist passenger coaches, so it's making some money for the railway here. (Pity Ireland does not allow such operations, i.e. short line freight in particular.)

Advertisement