Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions & Advice on iMac

Options
  • 29-09-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I am thinking of diving in to the world of Apple and am looking at the 27 in iMac with Intel Core i5 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor, 2X2GB RAM, 1TB HDD.

However I have never had an apple product before and before I go and spend this kind of cash I was looking for peoples opinions of this product or something close to it.

I am a keen photographer and have been told by numerous other photographers that the iMacs and Mac Books are the best when it comes to editing digital photography.

What do people think ? Have you had any problems with it. Things to ask or look out for when buying etc.

All comments very gratefully received.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

If the budget can take it you might consider a macbook pro and a thunderbolt display,
    If not the imac is an awesome machine I'd advise getting a trackpad with it and a ram upgrade, what are you using now?

iMac range is hopefully due an update soonish, well... before christmas fingers crossed.
    might be worth waiting a while if you can
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

i've my 24" iMac 3.5 years,
    well worth the investment and i use it for absolutely everything.
    i wouldn't upgrade the memory from apple, too costly! get it from crucial or somewhere similar.
    Give it a while to see how you're getting on with the 4gb but if your doing lots of photo editing the more memory the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭markst33

I have been using a compaq laptop for the last few years with a dell monitor via vga. The budget would not stretch another €500+ I am afraid. Besides the 27" screen looks pretty awesome. :)

It won't be happening for about 6+ months anyway. I am just doing my homework now

isn't portability gonna be an issue for you then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

markst33 wrote: »
    I have been using a compaq laptop for the last few years with a dell monitor via vga.

You won't know yourself so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I used both PC and Mac. I made the jump to apple a few years back and bought a very similar iMac. Fantastic machine and perfect for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭markst33

has anyone had any problems with it, viruses etc. Also how did you find the jump from windows to Mac ? Was there a steep learning curve ?

Well the reason I bought mine was because a high end VAIO burnt out it's video card after 24hrs of use from new, I was just sick of the endless hassle with drivers, conflicts, 'hardware not recognised' etc. etc. that came with windows, if you get 'applecare' with your iMac you can sleep tight after forking out your cash but you'll probably never use it.

Advertisement