Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to connect to two routers on OSX?

Options
  • 29-09-2012 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Not sure if I can do it in general but is it possible to connect to two routers at once? I have the main cable modem with its built in wireless router from UPC and then I have decided to put the old netgear router I was using to use by hooking it up to the external harddrive I have by the tv.
    Is it possible to be connected to them both at the same time so I don't need to disconnect from the internet to upload files to my HD?
    Do I need to create some sort of network between the two?
    Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭firkin

You can connect to both at the same time if you connect to one via WiFi and the other via Ethernet cable. But if you mean connect to two different routers at the same time via WiFi I don't think that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Disable the wireless on your UPC router. Connect your Netgear to it. Then, every device connects to the Netgear and gets Internet and USB hard drive access.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

JDxtra wrote: »
    Disable the wireless on your UPC router. Connect your Netgear to it. Then, every device connects to the Netgear and gets Internet and USB hard drive access.

The problem there is that the internet comes in through the kitchen wall and the TV where I want the HD is up in the sitting room.
    I could move the modem up beside the TV but I don't want the base telephone unit to be beside the TV :/
    I guess I just have to live with having to disconnect and reconnect.

Main problem with using my netgear router for internet access is that it doesn't seem to be able to deal with the 50 meg speeds. Only get 12-15 megs upstairs whereby I can get 40/45 with the inbuilt router in the modem.

Going to invest in an n router soon and might do a bit of cabling/moving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Going to invest in an n router soon and might do a bit of cabling/moving around.[/Quote]

I was looking into this also so I decide to keep it apple and I ordered one of these

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FD031B/A/refurbished-airport-extreme-base-station
    I'm also with UPC 100 meg and I'm only getting 60 meg at a pushso om hoping the base station will help with that and solve that problem.There is a USB slot also so I can plug my hd directly into the base station and log into it from anywhere in my home.

Advertisement