Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences in parent names

Options
  • 29-09-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi all, if you have some free time take a little look at this and tell me what you think

John Thornton and Frances Buggle
    (Married in 1853)
    Thier children were

Patrick 1854
    Margaret 1856
    Mary 1858
    Anne 1859
    Harriet 1861
    Michael 1863
    Frances 1865
    Elizabeth 1866
    Bridget 1868
    Ellen 1870
    John 1872
    George 1874

They all had the addressof Oughterard or Bishopscourt in Kildare which are the same area.
    The strange thing is on Margaret’s baptism record the mother isdown as Lucy Buggle. On Harriet’sbaptism record the mother is down as JaneBuggle. On Bridget’s Baptism record the mother is frances but the father isdown as Thomas Buggle. Now because the address recorded on them seemsto match and its only one parent which is different on each would I be right inthinking that the priest just got it wrong?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That address is likely to be a whole townland (presuming there was not a fuller address listed) and so I would suspect that you could be dealing with related families. Also do not discount the possiblity that Bridget is a niece of Frances Buggle who happened to have a mother also called Frances.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

Thanks Pinkypinky, The only marriage record I can find for a Jane Buggle around that time is one who married Michael Carroll. I cant find any record of a Lucy Buggle at all

Also the only marriage record I can see for John Thornton is one marrying Mary Buggle whom I believe may be Frances Buggle

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

In the 1901 census in Oughterard, there is a Thornton family that appears to be this one. The widowed head of the family is transcribed as "Hannie" but appears to be Fannie or Frannie.

George is listed as a nephew. You might try to find his parents and see if that would clear anything up. I would also pursue civil birth records if you don't already have them.

I know in my family there were several instances of young nieces and nephews living with other family. When the surname is shared, the relationships aren't always apparent.

Saw that RGM, Hannie is actually Fanney if you look at the actual handwritten census so Im going to look ito that a bit more

• Advertisement
Advertisement